Powdered Sugar Mite Treatment

I know this has been mentioned in earlier posts, but I jut wanted to say a little more about it, and ask a few more questions.

First of all I can say that it works. I checked my hives about 15 min. after application, and there were mites staggering and laying on the ground underneath my hives... lots of them! I have one hive which has been having some problems with mites, a lot of deformed wings, bees staggering on ground in front of the hive, etc. But after two applications (over two weeks) of powdered sugar, it's practically all cleared up! I've found my mite treatment Oh... and it's as organic as you can get too, with hardly any additional stress on the bees, just a messy house to clean!

I have read somewhere on here that when doing this treatment you have to have the right kind of powdered sugar. What is the right kind? I just get the bags at Sam's, I think they have a 10X on them.

Also, will the powdered sugar get into and contaminate the pollen stores?

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Just curious, did you do the 8 second treatment where you sift it over the top bars or did you pull each frame and dust each side?

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Just curious, did you do the 8 second treatment where you sift it over the top bars or did you pull each frame and dust each side?
    I hadn't heard about the 8 sec. treatment. I just dump 2-3 cups over the brood nest and dust it around with a bee brush. I don't like taking the frames out and dusting them individually because most of the bees fly off.

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Default Use starch free powdered sugar

I remember reading someplace that you should use starch free powdered sugar. Took my girls to a beginners beek meeting yesterday and that was one thing that they stressed, starchfree. You can make your own by using either a blender or a coffee grinder, depending on what you want. I tried it last year and it worked for me.

David

I sift over the frame tops and make sure I get as much between them as I can. I also use very little smoke when I dust so that most of the bees are up top when the sugar hits them. One of these days, I'll pull frames and dust individually but dusting is only part of the mite control effort so I don't make it my number one chore. I also don't worry too much about starch free since I don't use that much sugar. I do make sure that the sugar is not too lumpy so that it won't cover the bees.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

>I remember reading someplace that you should use starch free powdered sugar.

For dusting it doesn't matter at all. Plain old powdered sugar works fine. In fact the starch by itself would probably work fine as does flour.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

i don't use a sifter. i do use a frame with #8 wire over the top of the hive. this year i try using a frame with window screen on it. starting in march i dust each hive about once a month with about one cup powdered sugar per ten frames/bars. for tbh's i make about a 3/8" gap between each bar and dust through a screen just like a lang.
    all that is gold does not glitter

Starch free....? I don't know but when I did inspection yesterday I found they had packed some of it in cells for their use...
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

I find it helpful to sift the sugar once prior to sifting over the frames. You need less sugar for the same volume and I think it gives better coverage.

I use the cheapest 10X powdered sugar I can find.

Personally, I would not pull frames and drop sugar directly in the brood cells. I would think it might desiccate or suffocate the open brood. Besides I don't think it's necessary. Dropping it straight down between the frames seems to be very effective and doesn't take long to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSteve View Post
    Personally, I would not pull frames and drop sugar directly in the brood cells. I would think it might desiccate or suffocate the open brood.
    Steve, I initially had the same thought, but then I figured the nurse bees that take care of the brood would lick the sugar off the brood. The bees do like to eat the powdered sugar as a snack.

I don't see any dead larvae getting dragged out after dustings either.

On the other hand, I use a baby powder bottle to get a thin, very fine vapor. I don't just dump it in really thick. That could be bad.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

If you guys really want to be organic, you can buy organic powdered sugar. That's what I do now. Although...I'm sure as my apiary expands....that will change,
    ~What do you know there's so much to be done
    Count all the bees in the hive, Chase all the clouds from the sky~

I tried that kind of sifter once. It broke on the first hive. I much prefer the simple sifter which you hit against your palm to shake the sugar out -- no moving parts to break. The old timey ones with the hand crank would probably work well too.