Default Need a good article on small cell for our bee club!

I'm going to carry some mann lake 120's to our next bee meeting, I would also like to print a really good article on small cells to carry and pass out, We have about 20 members and I would venture to say that you could count on 1 hand how many know about the benefits of small cell. These guys have been keeping bees for years..some of them 40 or more and like most of us they use 5.4 because that is what they have always done. and links appreciated !!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

DKnow had one in his club's newsletter. Maybe he'd let you use that:

http://www.beeuntoothers.com/Summer_...newsletter.pdf
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

[QUOTE=blkcloud;297847how many know about the benefits of small cell. [/QUOTE]

After five years of small cell I have yet to find any benefits. What are they?

Thanks MB!!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    After five years of small cell I have yet to find any benefits. What are they?
    Why are you still doing it then??:confused:

yes, feel free to use that...i would appreciate it if you would let me know when you do, and to both give me credit and a link to:
    http://www.beeuntoothers.com

i know...this seems like common sense...but this particular article has been used by other clubs without even notifiying me (or our club). i'm happy to have the information shared (more than happy), but it's nice to know who is distributing it.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
    Why are you still doing it then??:confused:
    So many people on here say it's the cat's meow, hoping to find out why. Can't you believe everything you read on the internet?

My small cells die as fast as the large cells.

We have a fellow (actually a family, now, since this goes beyond the career of a single generation) not too far from here who has grown one field in continuous corn for 89 years. It seems to work well for him on that one field. However, continuous corn has some well-known problems (soil depletion, increase in pests, potential weed problems, etc.), and does not or will not work well in most situations. While this producer seems to do it with good results in one field, that does not mean that such practices will work generally.

I see a parallel, at this point, with some of the "small cell" work. Some beekeepers have great success after switching to SC. Some beekeepers have no greater success with SC than with "large cell." And some beekeepers have great success (without using miticides) on LC. Until we know more about SC, I see it as worth exploring but not worth advocating as a sure-fire solution.

Hi Guys,

I'm as interested in the failures as in the successes. Much to be learned from each. Seems I learn more from my own failures as I've had more of them :>)

Odfrank, and anyone else willing to share the specifics?

I know that others, that have tried it, have their own ideas. With Lusby is regression. I'm natural cell. Seeley is kinder, gentler mites. Bill Truesdell focuses on beekeeper skill. Others focus on bee genetics.

Lots of variety, but some common elements might emerge for the better.

I have no reason to doubt other beekeeper's observations and experience even when it's completely opposite from my own.

Regards
    Dennis
    Bee observations are like fashion, a matter of fit. That little black dress that's so attractive and natural on my wife, would do exactly the opposite for me, a chunky, balding, beard faced, hairy legged, ugly old man. :>))))
    Last edited by BWrangler; 03-07-2008 at 08:28 AM.
    I once wrangled bees. But now, knowing better, I just let them bee.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/

>I have no reason to doubt other beekeeper's observations and experience even when it's completely opposite from my own.

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth." --Blaise Pascal

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdifferences.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default skip the article

have them watch a video on the benefits of small cell instead

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...918&pr=goog-sl

some beekeepers say there is a casual link between small cell and marijuana use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Dingler View Post
    some beekeepers say there is a casual link between small cell and marijuana use.
    . . . and a hard link between large cell and chemical/drug contamination. Hmmm, follow the smoke!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Dingler View Post
    ...and some casual marijuana users say there is a link between beekeeping and honey. (hey, they have the munchies...what do you expect?)

deknow (who doesn't care much about spelling, but who thinks that the poster meant "causal" and not "casual").