Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salute to Michael Bush

After following these forums for quite a while, I have come to the conclusion that we could save a lot of time and effort on most of these threads if we just wait for MB to read it and respond. It seems like we can go through about 20 or more posts and a couple thousand words waltzing around a subject until he posts his three or four liner. Then if we just follow the links he provides we get the answer in one brief paragraph with whatever referances are appropriate. Hats off to you Michael. You not only seem to have as good a referance library as most Universities, but you appear to have even read the books.
    doug

Thank you.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This forum doesn't have the clapping smilies, but I would put them up if it did

I haven't ever met Michael Bush, but I hope to run into him one day at HAS or somewhere.

I had a conversation with Robin Mountian last year sometime and MB came up in passing. He asked if I had met him and I replied that I hadn't. Then Robin wanted to know how I pictured him, this guy who is a very successful beekeeper and well respected in the bee community. I replied that I thought he was probably a down to earth, slightly crunchy, hippie type. Robin said I hit the nail on the head.

I expect that when I do meet him he will exceed my expectations. He is an asset to this forum and any time I am asked about bees I try and point people in the direction of his website.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I agree. MB's website is a wealth of information that I wish I would remember to consult before I post a question. I often wish I had found his website before I bought my first stack of equipment (NOT all mediums.)
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

I was thinking the same thing this morning... Barry needs to post a note above the Bee Forum & Beekeeping 101 categories: "Consult www.bushfarms.com before posting"

Thanks MB for the time and effort you've put into your extremely informative site.

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Default "Gleanings in BeeSource Forums"

This forum is a great source of information and so many experienced beekeepers donate a lot of their time to help others.

We are fortunate to have access to all of this knowledge and I believe that there are a lot of members here that feel the same as "sierrabees" does toward the opinions of "MB". I have to admit that on some of the threads I scroll down to see the "last word".

I wish there was a way to glean information from the forum and to have it organized in some fashion. Perhaps someone knows how to do that sort of thing.

On the part of the newbies I would like to thank M. Bush (and the hundreds of others) for making this such a great forum. Thank you.

And since we newbies benefit the most from this forum, I would encourage them to click back to http://www.beesource.com/ and make a small donation.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default helped me a lot

Michael Bush has helped me tremendously as well. I'm going into my 3rd year now, and with out the info i've learned from his posts, it'd have taken me 10yrs to get where i am now. using mediums(i use 10 frame), working towards small cell, foundationless are 3 major things that i've directly incorporated into my beekeeping.

thanks Michael !
    -M@

MB is the man............

I would love to see a FAQ section using his wonderful references.

Michael Bush is also very generous. Not only does he give us his time and lots of help, but he also purchased 1,000 of my special "Bush" frames.

I'm still trying to spend all the money

Thanx MrBee!

Alright........... I'll bite Dave......... what are these rascals???

I really hope Michael comes to HAS again this summer. It was unfortunate that I
    missed a great opportunity to sit through his class. Hopefully I can make up for
    it this year. Are making any plans yet about this year's HAS meeting in WV
    Michael?

amen to this thread!! Finally MB gets his "props"

...and who else can post over 27,000 posts on beesource with a dial up connection?

deknow

He is sorta the mentor from cyberspace.

I frequently reference beekeeping for being like religion...

--------
    There is GOD (if you believe - if not, go do something else and leave this post a lone)
    --------
    There is the Preacher...
    --------
    And there are the married faithful.
    --------
    So while god has made the bees, the preacher tell us about gods great works as an observer and storyteller, but is not the actual creator.

And while the married faithful may not first appear so close to god, if it were not from them and their day-to-day toils, likely the preacher would not eat well, be clothed, afford shelter or have much purpose.

So while I watch as many of you idolize Mr Bush as being the bee-god, I still see him rather as the preacher of observation. And while I may not have the time for preaching 27,000 posts, I am still faithfully keeping bees, observing the same observations and yet others that make my beekeeping experiences entirely different than his.

I do not mean Mr. Bush any disrespect by this post.
    I merely mean to point out that he does nothing more than we could do ourselves - if we weren't lazy, busy beekeeping, hopelessly computer illiterate, or whatever (IE he's still as human as the preacher and where would he be without our audience). It doesn't mean the rest of us are any less because of what do do. (yes, I think I just said doo-doo). We just preach our words elsewhere or perform our beliefs in the act of beekeeping.

The forums are full of preachers, often covering other gospels that are equally important. And while they may not be of the same denomination, it does not make their words any less true, or worth any less, its just our choice to belief if we wish. But sadly, I don't see much thanks to those others (like Bizzy, Bullseye, George F., Bjorn, and too many others to mention).

So while this post seems like we should rally around one person, I really feel like we are a group that owes each other a few more mutual handshakes instead. For I think if any of us were to go back and look at posts three years ago, Mr. Bush is asking many of the same questions being asked today. And I believe many of his answers came from folks on here. While I believe some gratitude is owed for the fact he has documented his growth on a webpage, the rest of the contributors to these forums are owed equal gratitude because instead of a webpage, we pour out our understanding with each reply to a forum question.

I think this is something that folks should very serious reflect upon.
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.

NW

In my original post I mentioned that we were really lucky to have the greats contributing to this forum. I had made a list of other names worth mention and then edited it out because the thread is titled A Salute to Michael Bush.

I don't think anybody on here is holding MB above anybody else, just giving respect where respect is due.

I think if you step back and reflect on this thread from a new keepers perspective, MB is a life line for them in their first few years. If they take heed to his posts and his site they can avoid many mistakes by learning from his experiences.

We are well aware that their are members on here who have more years in than MB, and more hives in, but MB is putting the time in in promoting the better-ment of beekeeping.
    Last edited by bluegrass; 01-26-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by sierrabees View Post
    After following these forums for quite a while, I have come to the conclusion that we could save a lot of time and effort on most of these threads if we just wait for MB to read it and respond. It seems like we can go through about 20 or more posts and a couple thousand words waltzing around a subject until he posts his three or four liner. Then if we just follow the links he provides we get the answer in one brief paragraph with whatever referances are appropriate. Hats off to you Michael. You not only seem to have as good a referance library as most Universities, but you appear to have even read the books.

NW,
    Thank you for your post. As one waltzing around lost in the wasteland babbling, apparently unappreciated for the posts that I make as they are seen as useless until the savior has spoken, I would find your comments very nicely stated. But I warn you that seeing that nobody See's the original post as somewhat "questionable', I would also expect the same to perhaps view your comments as wrong also. I wholeheartedly expect your comments will be shouted down with great wrath.

Please do not confuse my appreciation for MB and all he does, with my disdain for the apparent lack of consideration posted towards others in the original post.

MB.... Thank you.
    sierra...better luck next time.

>And while I may not have the time for preaching 27,000 posts, I am still faithfully keeping bees, observing the same observations and yet others that make my beekeeping experiences entirely different than his.

Sounds like someone's jealous or wants a post giving them some congrats, so congrats on your observations and experiences.

The main thing here and the reason for this post is because Mr Bush has made a major contribution and has spent much of his time helping others. He has very unselfishly donated his free time to educate people about beekeeping. Your contribution to this site is <2% of his, less one wonderfully informative web site. He's not out for the adulation of fellow beeks, he's just a very generous person who loves to share his enthusiasm for beekeeping and that is why he is getting a salute!!!

>So while this post seems like we should rally around one person, I really feel like we are a group that owes each other a few more mutual handshakes instead.

I agree. Let's give everyone a big round of applause for making all this possible. Even those who have been banned or only posted once cause they are all part of or have contributed to this great social experiment called "Beesource" as well.(Where's the clapping smiley when you need it?)

Well said Bluegrass.

>Please do not confuse my appreciation for MB and all he does, with my disdain for the apparent lack of consideration posted towards others in the original post.

Ditto.

inviting Michael Bush to HAS 2008 in Huntington, WV

Quote Originally Posted by WVbeekeeper View Post
    I really hope Michael comes to HAS again this summer. It was unfortunate that I
    missed a great opportunity to sit through his class. Hopefully I can make up for
    it this year. Are making any plans yet about this year's HAS meeting in WV Michael?
    I believe the current President of HAS, Gabe Blatt, has asked Rob Mountain to contact Michael & see if he would be willing to come. I strongly recommended Michael based on my experiences in his classes at HAS 2007. He was TERRIFIC! -Danno

Thanks for all the kudos.

>I have come to the conclusion that we could save a lot of time and effort on most of these threads if we just wait for MB to read it and respond.

As much as I appreciate the intent, I will have to disagree with this. A forum like this is wonderful because we all get to hear a discussion with many ideas thrown out there from a wide range of experiences. I've learned a huge amount during my years on these forums and I learn more everyday. Everyone contributing is what makes this work.

A big "Thank you" to all of you for sharing your experiences on these forums. It's what makes Beesource work.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast