Default A deal on bee advertising

I know that advertising is not an issue for those who just want to be known by word of mouth. But I have been placing mostly free ads online with very little returns and paid ads in local papers with returns usually covering the cost of the ad.

I decided to look into the yellow pages figuring that the cost would put it out of reach and was supprised to find that for the amount that a colmn ad in the paper costs me for a week, I can be in the phonebook for a year.
    The next issue will not come out until May, but I will be in it Our local phone book already had a honeybee heading and nobody listed under it.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Things must have changed. Several years ago I tried to get a yellow pages listing for bee related activities, mostly swarm removal. I was told I had to have a business number strictly for my bees. I could not advertise in the yellow pages with my personal, home number.

I looked into acquiring a separate business number and the cost was so ridiculous I gave up.

In the longer term, I've built up my name and reputation by word of mouth and making referrals at places people would call with bee related questions. But that's also one of the perks of small-town living.

Grant
    Jackson, MO try finding it on a map!

http://www.25hives.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I listed with verizon and did not even need a land line. I thought that they would not list a cell phone in the yellow pages and they said it was no problem. I guess the popularity of websites and google have made the phone companies need to compete a little for phonebook listings.

I listed in two seperate phone books, one inch ad for 9.90 a month each. the local paper was costing me over 100.00 a week for a business related ad.

....i dunno. who even looks in the yellowpages anymore? i can't say i look in them more than twice a year...almost always, the internet is faster, and more complete. a google adwords might be a better investment.

deknow

I have had a ton of people ask why I am not in the phone book for removals, so I think it will be a good thing. I do agree though, I google everything I need now and never use the phone book, but there is still a large section of the population that does not have internet.

Its like Ron Paul. Online he has about 70% support for president, but in the real world its only 8-10 % of the voting population.

...please define what "70% online support" means...as it seems a nonsense phrase to me.

deknow

Online only polls have been showing him with support up around 70%.

Not making this a Ron Paul thread, I was just using that as an example that the majority of the population is still not online.

Google is also not local enough for the area I want to target. I am not trying to get customers from across the country.

Default free ads

I stopped advertiseing 25 yrs ago only sell by word of mouth. if your doing something right you don't need to spend money on it to let people what you have to sell or do. advertisers call me all the time to place ads. I tell them why I can't fill orders now. you need to decide how to spend money on ads.
    try local bee clubs to get the word out.
    Don

you got the idea by using the phone book but not by advertising, look in the yellow pages for pest control companies and call them and get on their list for bee removals, most of my removals and swarms come from them.......I look in my yellow pages and one morning spent a hour calling and getting on their removal list, most of the ones I called I was the only one they had for bee removals........ I registered with my local extension office plus on a few site on the web and did removals and swarm calls they last two years, its works try it!!!
    Ted

Default Another good place

I have left my card with the local police and the county sheriff in surrounding cities and counties. I get quite a few calls from them.
    John
    Married 23 years and still makin honey. www.Johnshoney.com
    John, WA9WJG