Thread: mann lake pf100

Default mann lake pf100

What are the cell size of this foundation?

thanks jay capecod ma

4.95mm.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default Re: mann lake pf100

What is the frame spacing for the PF 100 frames? I can't find this any where. Cheers Chris

The end bars are 1 3/8" wide, if that's what you are asking.
    To everything there is a season....

what if ur makeing a 9 frames for a 10 frame box what would be the spacing 1 3/8 for 10 frame

Thank you. I must trim the frames or remove the foundation and install in one and a quarter inch bee space wooden frames. Three years ago I bought twenty drawn plastic frames from Dadant that had one and three eighths inch spacing. Because of this and that they are so ugly I have not used them.

The entire PF100 series (PF120s etc.) are the standard width of 1 3/8". If you want to put 9 frames in a ten frame box you do the same as you would do for any hoffman style frame. You either space them by eye, with a spacer "comb" or with Stoller frame rests. They will be spaced about 1 1/2" if you put 9 in a 10 frame box which will leave a gap between the end bars.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by chris bright View Post
    Three years ago I bought twenty drawn plastic frames from Dadant that had one and three eighths inch spacing.
    Frames already drawn out? Would you mind telling me what you paid per frame?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Quote Originally Posted by bevy's honeybees View Post
    Frames already drawn out? Would you mind telling me what you paid per frame?
    I can dredge up the receipt but I think around three bucks a frame. I just didn't have the heart to put bees in such a hostile environment so here they still are.

Quote Originally Posted by chris bright View Post
    I just didn't have the heart to put bees in such a hostile environment so here they still are.
    What made that environment so hostile? What made it less hostile ?

>Three years ago I bought twenty drawn plastic frames from Dadant that had one and three eighths inch spacing.

Drawn? Like full cells of plastic? The only products like this I'm aware of are Honey Super Cell and PermaComb neither of which has ever been sold by Dadant that I know of.

>Because of this and that they are so ugly I have not used them.

The bees won't care if they are ugly. The width is easy enough to fix. Either cut 1/16" off each side of the end bars or cut 1/8" off of opposite sides of opposite end bars. A table saw will make this go fairly quickly and you have the whole frame to hold on to.

The bigger issue for me would be that all the plastic I've seen come from Dadant was 5.4mm and I want 4.9mm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Then I must be mistaken on my sourcing. I find them ugly. Very heavy with thick walls between the cells. I am searching for the receipt and I will post pix. Thanks for the tip on the table saw, I just happen to have one.

>Very heavy with thick walls between the cells.

Sounds like Honey Super Cell.

The frames in question are HSC. I am putting bees on to PF100 frames with cut down end bars. I have two boxes with five PF100 with three foundationless frames on either side. I have a Dadant super ( my fifteen colonies are in Dadants) divided in two with five PF100 to a side and a box with ten PF100 frames. The only problem after five days with syrup and Caspian solution is the ten frame box that has vertical bridge comb between all frames, about five "bridges" per frame space. Since the comb is laid in I have decided to let them at it and without interference get them up onto the next box later of foundation free. A swarm blew in yesterday and I stole a pf100 from a box and with five foundationless on either side I am hoping they will do the right thing. The bees are laying in the PF 100s before completely d rawing the cell in the other boxes and drawing quickly. This has brought feelings of happiness and joy.

I am happily amazed at how well the bees have taken to the PF100 frames. I am interspersing foundation less frames and with the flow on I am seeing good results.