Default H.S.C vs Mannlake PF100

I am thinking about trying some SC this season.Any one prefer one over the other for any reason?
    Mitch KD8IMF

well the PF100's are a LOT cheaper
    I have some, actually the medium ones, and I cut the foundation out of em and put it in wooden frames, the plastic frames are pretty flimsy
    that said I've also ordered 2 boxes of HSC which I'll cut up and put in medium wooden frames, I use all mediums
    I'm hoping it'll help with small hive beetles

Dave

I prefer the pf120's over the HSC, an so do the girls. I didn't think the frames were all that flimsy though.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

>I am thinking about trying some SC this season.Any one prefer one over the other for any reason?

The HSC is heavier, more expensive and already drawn. The PF100s (or if you do mediums PF120s) are well accepted, cheaper and lighter AND available in mediums.

If I didn't care about the price I'd buy the HSC and cut it down to mediums. If price is an issue (and if you want the option for mediums), the PF100s and PF120s are fine. I bought a lot more PF120s than HSC but I have bought, and will continue to buy, both.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

For those using PF120/100's, have you considered cutting holes in the bottom corners? Seems the bees do that on foundation. I assume to allow easier movement.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartin View Post
    For those using PF120/100's, have you considered cutting holes in the bottom corners? Seems the bees do that on foundation. I assume to allow easier movement.
    I have not considered cutting holes into the bottom corners of the PF120's that I use, because I am not using PF100's in deep supers, then I might consider doing this, since it is supposed to increase communication, but I am using PF120's in medium supers and there is naturally a communication channel between all the frames across the tops of each super and across the bottoms of each super that is above it. With all medium depth supers there are many more of these communication breaks than there would be in deep supers.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I have brought this up before but did not have get much of a response to it. Does anybody using the plastic foundation notice a difference in drone population? In other words does the queen still find enough places to lay a proper population of drone with plastic foundation? I am aware that you can add "drone comb", but how about without adding drone comb?

Thanks for the info to all

I like the idea of full drawn vs not.This will be my first with plastic.I am wondering what some of you are doing with the HSC.Is anyone waxing it?How are you applying the wax?I just got the new BC in the mail and they show putting wax on with a brush.Should i keep the HSC Hives in a seperate yard from my large cell wax?Is there any differance in the bees excepting medium frames and deeps.I currently run 2 deep brood chambers.I am still not sure on the way to go in starting with the HSC.I am thinking maybe just starting with swarms or maybe switching a stronger hive durring a good flow.Or will it be ok to put a full deep of HSC on top of a deep of wax?
    Mitch KD8IMF

Smile Drones

I use the Pierco plastic combs and the bees will make most of the drone cells between the top bars and the bottom bars.
    It will depend on your queen stock too.
    Regards,
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Thanks for the info to all

I like the idea of full drawn vs not.This will be my first with plastic.I am wondering what some of you are doing with the HSC.Is anyone waxing it?How are you applying the wax?I just got the new BC in the mail and they show putting wax on with a brush.Should i keep the HSC Hives in a seperate yard from my large cell wax?Is there any differance in the bees excepting medium frames and deeps.I currently run 2 deep brood chambers.I am still not sure on the way to go in starting with the HSC.I am thinking maybe just starting with swarms or maybe switching a stronger hive durring a good flow.Or will it be ok to put a full deep of HSC on top of a deep of wax?
    I have had good acceptance just spraying them with diluted honey. If I am starting a package on them, I usually put one foundationless frame in the center where I hang the queen cage, they draw it out very quickly and the queen lays in it first, and then seems to move right over onto the HSC on each side. You can then work the wax frame out to the edge, or leave it alone, just a matter of preference. I also like to give them a foundationless frame on one edge of the hive so they have a good place to draw drone cells when they need them.

>Does anybody using the plastic foundation notice a difference in drone population?

I always have some foundationless frames where they can do as they like.

>I like the idea of full drawn vs not.This will be my first with plastic.I am wondering what some of you are doing with the HSC.Is anyone waxing it?

If you wax it at all, I'd just rub it on.

I just got the new BC in the mail and they show putting wax on with a brush. That will not work well on fully drawn comb as it will clog up the cells.

>Should i keep the HSC Hives in a seperate yard from my large cell wax?

Not necessarily.

>Is there any differance in the bees excepting medium frames and deeps.

No. But HSC only comes in deeps.

>I currently run 2 deep brood chambers.I am still not sure on the way to go in starting with the HSC.I am thinking maybe just starting with swarms or maybe switching a stronger hive durring a good flow.Or will it be ok to put a full deep of HSC on top of a deep of wax?

Yes it's fine to put it on top of whatever drawn comb, just as long as it's already drawn.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>I like the idea of full drawn vs not.This will be my first with plastic.I am wondering what some of you are doing with the HSC.Is anyone waxing it?How are you applying the wax?

Almost all my hives are either Permacomb or HSC, or a combination of the two. I haven't introduced any of the PF120's yet. When introducing bees to either it is best to either spray it with sugar syrup or smear it with honey/wax paste.

>I have brought this up before but did not have get much of a response to it. Does anybody using the plastic foundation notice a difference in drone population?

I can't say that there are less drones, there seems to be plenty of them around and the spaces between the top and bottom of the frames are always full of drone brood. I can say that there seems to be very few mites in my hives.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam