Thread: Rearing queens

Question Rearing queens

Hi everyone. Me and my Father were wondering what is the right way to go about breeding queen bees. Here is a kit I found for breeding them... http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=631 Can you recemend a good bee book/magazine for all around bee keeping Thanks

why is your text blue... gosh it must be really cold in MI.

to answer your question there are any number of 'right ways' to rear queens. most of the catalog houses have small books on queen rearing typically titled 'successful gueen rearing' plus michael bush had a copy of one of jay smith (a very famous queen breeder).

in regards to question about the various 'right way' to rear queens there are any number of threads posted that should answer individual questions/concerns from everything from grafting to stocking mating nucs.

good luck..

Yes. It's real cold here. Of course we have to wait till it is like 80 degrees to start breeding queens right?

Default Rearing Queens

The queens will mate at 65 degrees. And i will have to agree with tech on the ways to rear queens as there are numerous ways to raise queens at different times of the year. Read all you can about the subject and then try to visit some one who rears queens and then you will understand how to raise queens.
    Dwight
    If you see me running you had better be running too.

Thanks everybody

Default Starter/Finisher Cell Builder

This just for a few Queen cells

http://www.box.net/shared/pakjm8pk0c

I did updating added some notes YOU MAY WANT TO RE DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by Velbert; 02-04-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: UPDATED

Default Cost of rearing Queens

This will give you an idea on how much you actually have in raising your queens
    ATTENTION Just added, for if you use dividers in a full size hive box Sorry guys it didn't download right the first time PLEASE DOWN LOAD Again
    http://www.box.net/shared/uqytaqd344
    Last edited by Velbert; 02-11-2008 at 12:07 AM.

Bee Keeper, might I suggest that since you're in Lapeer, you do one or both of these suggestions:

1) Contact Dave Anthony, who is the current President of Michigan Beekeeper's Association (MBA). He is helping to sponsor a queen rearing course with Dr. Larry Connor this upcoming spring. Dave Anthony's apiary is located in Swartz Creek, and the course will be well worth the money! (About $180 bucks.) Dr. Connor is a well published author and is known for several articles written in ABJ and Bee Culture. Space in the classes is limited and (from what I've heard last week) is filling up rapidly.

2) Secondly, I'd also attend Michigan State University's ANR Week, which is coming up March 7th and 8th. Various break out sessions will cover a LOT of queen rearing topics, which I'm sure you'll find of interest. Dr. Larry Connor, who is a key note speaker, will also be speaking on the topic at the convention.

Information on contacting Dave Anthony and on ANR Week are both available at the MBA website:

http://www.michiganbees.org

Good luck, and thanks for helping to put Michigan back on the map with queen rearing!

BDDS