Default Shopping Cart... yes or no???

I am trying to figure out if I should add a shopping cart to my page. I have weighted out the benefits and draw backs:

Benefits:
    capture impulse buying
    offering another way to buy products
    Easier (could be) for customers to buy

Drawbacks:

merchant fees (takes away from profit margin)

Not getting to know customers. (right now, they have to contact me to order so I feel like I can give them better customer service that way and get to know them)

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Chef Isaac; 01-19-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling..... again

just do it

I personally would do the cart. It will increase your sales. Lower profit margine would be made up with volume of sales. You could still interact with your customer after they place the order

I like the cart as an option. Half the time, I'm buying well after normal "business" hours and it's a lot of work to trade e-mails.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Shopping cart is a way to go if you are selling on internet !
    Sig

Chef, what is the price difference? I would think it would be simple with just an email form for a small volume of sales, but as sales increase so does the work load and your time will be divided even more. I would think that it would be more efficient then to have a cart. I am sure going to follow this project. Please keep us informed.

I think it's an issue of cost/benefit. If I'm a consumer and you only sell one thing and I pretty much have to make arrangements anyway (such as queens) then it doesn't seem particularly helpful. If you have a lot of products for sale and I want to "fill my cart" with a variety of things and see my total and close the deal, then a shopping cart makes a lot of difference to me.

What's you're volume? What's the cost of having the cart?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

will you accept credit cards? is your websight encripted for security?

The cost is usually a percentage and a small monthly flat fee. I need to double check on the total of the cost.

Of course, I now wonder how many people decided not to buy from us since we do not have an online payment option.

Have you considered PayPal as a means of accepting payment, apparently it is easier to link to your web site than a credit card. It would also not need your site to be encrypted. In the UK people who are a bit wary of using credit cards on the internet are quite ready to use PayPal without any qualms.

I will be using paypal casue the cost of a merchant is a litte much for me at this point. heck, i am going out on a limb with this whole web site thing right now and really going out on a limb with a shopping cart.

Chef,
    I think my comments posted on the other thread "Paypal vs. merchant" really apply here also. And I also feel that perhaps its in line with your gut feeling about going out on a limb. I think its nice to have some of the items your asking about. But practicality, cost, and other issues sometimes get thrown out the window.

Maybe it would help to step back, and ask how much honey do you have, and how many units will you be expecting to push through your site?