Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Peggjam, you just described my day tomorrow. A dead oak fell down by the neighbors house about a month ago. I cut it up and threw it in the truck. It's itching to be split and it should be nice and cold tomorrow to do it. So long as the missus doesn't spring any surprise chores on me, that's what I'll be doing. Light snow coming...27 degrees here now...colder tomorrow.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

James,

I remember those days! We cut wood all summer long, split and stacked all fall. Woke up to a cold house all winter. It was like magic, when my brother and I moved away, the wood stove disappeared.

Cold is a relative term, I went into town today, here the temps are in the mid 40s. It was funny seeing all the snow birds, and natives all bundled up. I saw one girl, wearing a sweater, parka, wool hat, shivering away, complaining how cold it was. I just snickered and walked away before I burst out laughing.

"It was like magic, when my brother and I moved away, the wood stove disappeared."

It is amazing at what disappears when all the kids leave home, in my case it was the cows....... The woodstove stayed though.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    come on, you guys up north need to give us some simpathy out here on the plains. This morning at 8:00am it was a cold bone chilling 11 degrees
    Yeah, same here, but when I called the farm to tell them to not expect me because of the flu, they said it was - 9. It always seems to be about 10 colder there, down in the valley, but that's just miserable cold for us.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Outdoor Wood Furnace - no splitting, no dragging wood into the house or ashes out, and best of all NO coming home to a cold house!!!

14 cord of slab wood along the driveway - so let the temps drop.

Just got to remember to plug the truck in.

"Outdoor Wood Furnace - no splitting, no dragging wood into the house or ashes out, and best of all NO coming home to a cold house!!!"

Ditto, but I don't have 14 cord of slabwood lining the driveway.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Phil Minnesota are you around ham lake ?????

1/13/08 7:12 pm -8.8 for the temp
    knocked on the girls door they told me only stupid girls come out in that temp
    I told them Im not a girl

Local mill in town "drops" off loads when they can't sell them as they don't have the room to store them.

I have an area 90 feet long by 30 feet deep along the drive that they keep stocked.

All I have to do is run a saw down through a pile and cut to length.

I give them some honey when they need it.

spent the day cutting wood myself,in the teens this morning, 5f is the coldest we've been,but we have mostly outside work right now. after 8 hrs outside its pretty cold.we have had a huge snow year this year.every other day we get a few more inches.it covers all the dead bees in the snow,which makes it a little more bearable to visit the hives.the wife has her cross country skis out,my brother is snowboarding today,my 4 year old is sledding and i have to go cut firewood.poor planning i suppose.i will quit feeling sorry for myself and go sharpen the saw.still waiting for our cold snap.i have gone to check on my hives twice but both times the snow had turned to ice around the bottom of my (bear proof)gate and i didn't feel like getting a shovel out.they look good thru the fence.

Currently it is 9 below here on the Wi/Il stateline. A far cry from 2 weeks ago when the bees were out and cleaning house. Both hives were very busy that day of 54 degrees. I got my wood cutting done just before holidays. Had to disect a hickory...lol. So the question of the day: "If it is zero today, and tomorrow it will be twice as cold, how cold tomorrow"? A relative thing. It helps for me to start ordering seeds for the garden, at this time of year. It makes Spring feel a little closer. Already ordered a couple more packages for April delivery. Keep warm folks, and GO PACK!
    WD9BB, Chuck

When I left home, the didn't have the outdoor wood furnaces. We had an old Franklin wood stove. I would come home from school, shovel out the ashes, load it up with small kindleing wood that I split with an axe from a big piece of white ash, Start the fire, throw in a couple of pieces of maple/oak, and the house would warm up in and hour or two. On my last visit home, I did find the stove, it was buried in a corner of the garage, but my Dad has long removed the chimney, replaced it with a skylight. Also it was magic, the garden went down to a tenth of its size. However, once my father retired, it went back to its original size.

It is -34 here with a forcast high of -25. The wind chill is in the -40's and it is heading South. When its this cold the bees shiver and shake off all the mites. LOL

Default It's Very Cold Up There!

It's onley 35 here in Camarillo Calif
    We raise a lot of strawberries, avocados, lemons, and veggies in Venura County Calif.
    Ernie

Big Grin

Talking to a freind of mine yesterday afternoon on the cell phone, he said he had to turn on the A/C when he got to the coast range.

Right now I am in Sunny Orange CA and it is about 55 with an expected high of 63 today. Yesterday it was about 75 here.
    Tonight I have to fly back to VT for a while, it is 10 there right now and will most likely be below zero tonight!! BRRRRR!!! I will be returning to CA ASAP!!!!
    Hope to be back in time to take a ride up to Bakersfield to see the Bees in the Almonds.
    I also have a cut-out to do for a friend here when I return, hope they are not Africanized. Should be interesting!!

It's gonna be 4 degrees at Lambeau Field in Green Bay today

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    It is -34 here with a forcast high of -25. The wind chill is in the -40's and it is heading South. When its this cold the bees shiver and shake off all the mites. LOL
    Good lord DGL....that's cold!

It's hovering around 10 degrees here with what seems like a hundred mile and hour wind.

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post

that is cold are you talking celcius temp or farenhieght

Canada degree "C"
    -30C is about -22F
    -20C is about -4F
    -10C is about +14F

Default cold, but going to gett a little warmer here

it's the wind chill thats the killer

Weatheroffice

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca
    Souris
    Currently
    Observed at: Brandon Airport 12:00 PM CST Sunday 20 January 2008

Sunny
    Temperature -26C Pressure/ Tendency 103.6 kPa↓ Visibility 24 km Humidity 61 % Wind Chill -39 Dewpoint -31C Wind W 22 km/h Yesterday Max Temp. -22.4C Min Temp. -32.8C Precip Total 0.0 mm Regional NormalsMax Temp. -12C Min Temp. -22C Record Values
    TodaySunrise 8:29 Sunset 17:15 Moonrise 14:50 Moonset 7:29 5 Day Forecast from Environment Canada
    Sunday
    High -23C
    POP 30%
    Chance of flurries
    Sunday night
    Low -32C
    POP 30%
    Chance of flurries
    Monday
    High -18C
    Sunny

Tuesday
    High -15C
    Low -19C
    Sunny
    Wednesday
    High -15C
    Low -24C
    Sunny
    Thursday
    High -6C
    Low -16C
    Sunny
    These icons are a summary. See complete text below Imperial Units past 24 hour conditions past 24 hour graphs another forecast
    Text Forecast from Environment Canada
    Souris: Issued 11.00 AM CST Sunday 20 January 2008
    Today Sunny with cloudy periods. 30 percent chance of flurries late this afternoon. High minus 23. Tonight Cloudy periods with 30 percent chance of flurries this evening. Clearing overnight. Wind west 20 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 32. Extreme wind chill minus 43. Monday Sunny. Wind becoming west 40 km/h gusting to 60 late in the morning. High minus 18. Wind chill minus 39. Tuesday Sunny. Low minus 19. High minus 15. Wednesday Sunny. Low minus 24. High minus 15. Thursday Sunny. Low minus 16. High minus 6.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast