Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Smile Panhandle Bee Man

The need for a garden sure decreased when you moved out, didn't it?
    It's a balmy +10 or so here.
    leamon

My temps were Celcius. Irwin is right, it's the wind chill that gets you.

Mountaincamp & peggjam - are those outdoor wood furnaces as smoky as they say? I've been thinking about getting one, but the only place to put it is upwind of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    ...I actually wouldn't mind a bit of snow piled up around the hives to keep the wind off...
    Note to self: Be careful what you wish for. Shovelled a foot of the stuff yesterday.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

They are quite smokey when the draft is open, which unless it is really cold, isn't all that often, every couple hours or so for about 20min. If the smoke is a bother extend the stack high enough to put the smoke over your house.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

One can see more and more of the outside woodburners around the area. My brother just installed a pellet/corn fireplace insert. It has thermostatic control, and automatic feed. He likes it. Fahrenheit times 5/9= Celsius.....and Celsius times 9/5 plus 32 = Fahrenheit
    WD9BB, Chuck

Its 247 deg. Kelvin here this morning.

There, now I think the measurement units are covered.

Double

I don't understand how you are calculating celcius and fahrenheit? can you explain that?
    The second equation works, but you are missing something out of the first and I can't figure out what it is.

I was taught that you take C times 1.8 plus 32, or F divided by 1.8 subtract 32.
    Last edited by bluegrass; 01-21-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Actually it's C= (F-32) divided by 1.8. (or multiplied by 5/9, whatever)

Oh, and it's 478.8 degrees Rankine here in Erie. NOW we've got it covered.

Bluegrass and Hobie....was out doing other things when I "re-thought" what I had posted and was coming back to correct myself....What I meant to give was: F-32X5/9=C and
    CX9/5 +32=F....Oh well....like the man who had water on the brain, and one winter it froze up and everything slipped his mind...talk about your mis-information...sorry
    WD9BB, Chuck

I popped the top on the syrup barrel this morning thinking it might get warm enough for the bees to fly. Some of the nut cases started coming out just as the temps passed 32 and are still going at it at 38. Crazy bees!!! Don't they know it's to cold to play in the water!!!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr I'm going to turn the heat up!!!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    I popped the top on the syrup barrel this morning thinking it might get warm enough for the bees to fly. Some of the nut cases started coming out just as the temps passed 32 and are still going at it at 38. Crazy bees!!! Don't they know it's to cold to play in the water!!!!! Brrrrrrrrrrrr I'm going to turn the heat up!!!!
    Brrrrrrrrrr. Brrrrrrrr. Come on up north for a day or two, we'll give ya some real Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Well, I did manage to get two loads of wood cut this weekend, that will be a Brrrrrrr eleminator for a few weeks.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

You folks in the deep freeze would laugh at us, but we had a "cold snap" where temperatures are down to 15 degrees at night. In a place where it's usually 45 degrees every day for a few months at a time that's considered a really, really cold spell.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Don't want no part of it pegg! I'll come that way when the birds do.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I'm not going to tell yall what the temp is here. (I'll go on everyones ignore list) Hope to start making splits wenesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Hodges View Post
    I'm not going to tell yall what the temp is here. (I'll go on everyones ignore list) Hope to start making splits wenesday.
    Tell us what it is come harvest time
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

99 ,if you get up before sunrise

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

The amount of smoke will depend greatly on what you burn.
    I have a Central Boiler unit that is duel fired w/ LP burner.
    I have the options of setting the unit to:
    -wood only natural draft
    - Clean Start where the burner starts the fire back up with a draft fan and adjustable timer on the burn time.
    - Back up fuel if the wood burns out
    - LP only

I set it to Wood only and I get smoke till the fire picks up, about 5 minutes and then mostly steam. I am burning slab wood pine as well.

I've got a lot of locust. Mostly fallen, probably hard as a rock.

This morning at 7:30AM it was a nippy 33F, It's 40F now at 7:53AM. A few weeks ago we had several nights with lows of about 27F. I try to avoid going out until it warms up into the 60'sF.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123