Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Acetic Acid

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I need to purchase a quantity to fumigate a few thousand boxes, anyone have an idea where to buy 80 % acetic acid by the 5 gallon pail?

Looks as I have been fighting nosema and I will be fumigating all my equipment, any siggestions on doing this? what about lids and pallets?

Thanks, Larry

PS checked into irradiation, costs 6 to 7 dollars per deep box, min, $ 850.00 charge and a 150 mile drive.

#3 ·
I found mine at a chemical supply company locally here in Cleveland. When doing a search be sure to look for "Glacial" Acetic Acid. It's close to 100% and, as mentioned, will need to be cut to 80% with distilled water. ( be sure to add acid to the water, and not water to the acid when cutting )

Soak a rag with about 125ml - 150ml of solution and lay across the top bars of "each" box. Stack the boxes and seal off with tape for a week. I put inner covers and telescoping covers on the top and bottom of the stacks and treated them too.

#4 ·
Glacial Acetic is really nasty and it will put holes in you trousers/shirts/eyes
lungs etc. be careful.

I would check with others on the board. But I would imagine frying them in
wax and rosin would kill any spores. Not sure but can't imagine much would
survive at 300F. It would be real cheap. You may even consider just buying
some new also. Old hives burn real nice in the fire place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.