Thread: Acetic Acid

Default Acetic Acid

I need to purchase a quantity to fumigate a few thousand boxes, anyone have an idea where to buy 80 % acetic acid by the 5 gallon pail?

Looks as I have been fighting nosema and I will be fumigating all my equipment, any siggestions on doing this? what about lids and pallets?

Thanks, Larry

PS checked into irradiation, costs 6 to 7 dollars per deep box, min, $ 850.00 charge and a 150 mile drive.

Try photo development chemical supply houses, and other chemical suppliers. Also I believe that acetic acid is available at 100%, and will need to be cut down to 80% using distilled water.

I found mine at a chemical supply company locally here in Cleveland. When doing a search be sure to look for "Glacial" Acetic Acid. It's close to 100% and, as mentioned, will need to be cut to 80% with distilled water. ( be sure to add acid to the water, and not water to the acid when cutting )

Soak a rag with about 125ml - 150ml of solution and lay across the top bars of "each" box. Stack the boxes and seal off with tape for a week. I put inner covers and telescoping covers on the top and bottom of the stacks and treated them too.
    To everything there is a season....

Glacial Acetic is really nasty and it will put holes in you trousers/shirts/eyes
    lungs etc. be careful.

I would check with others on the board. But I would imagine frying them in
    wax and rosin would kill any spores. Not sure but can't imagine much would
    survive at 300F. It would be real cheap. You may even consider just buying
    some new also. Old hives burn real nice in the fire place.

LSpender, where they using gamma or EBR (electron beam radiation), and what was the name of the company?
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Default Acetic Acid

LS. P. in Onterio, CA. wintersunchem.com (800) 930-1688 May not be 5 gal. pail.
    Walt

Glacial acetic acid also freezes at very high temperatures (62F).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

Keep that in mind.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF