Thread: Bass guitar

Default Bass guitar

Does anyone here play bass guitar? I've been thinking about guitars lately (too much Guitar Hero 3). I'm not really much of a guitar player, but I've been using one of our acoustic guitars and playing it like a bass (I don't like chords, too many strings to worry about at one time). I recently thought about getting a bass guitar some day. I'd just like to have one to play for fun. What would you people suggest? Brands, used or new? Types of pickups? What about the amplifier? I don't want to get anything fancy or expensive, just something that works. Is there some place I should look for them, like eBay, or wait until I see a good deal somewhere, like a tag sale, or even a pawn shop (I doubt they get much good stuff there though). I was also thinking a kit would be cool, learn how to put it together, but I don't know if that'd be the best choice.
    For fishkeepers and aquarium hobbyists www.aquaticbabble.forumup.org

if you decide to build one look here for parts

http://www.warmoth.com/

I built a Fender Mustang clone from their stuff that I love
    depends on how much you like to tinker with stuff

Dave

i bought a bass and an amp on ebay a couple of years ago and it was great fun learning the basics. i got a Squire Precision Bass and a small Peavy bass amp. i didn't buy them together...it was 2 seperate auctions. i would look on Craigslist if I were shopping again as well as ebay. also local music stores. its pretty easy to sound good on a bass. sorry...i don't remember how much I spent.

My mom knows a place nearby that sells used guitars. I may be able to find something there if I look. Would anyone recommend a combo amp? It seems to be practical for something like just playing at home. I wouldn't have to get a whole bunch of different parts then.

The cord issues on guitars seem difficult in the beginning but it doesn't take long for your fingers to develop a mind of their own. Of course bar cords are a little less of a challenge. I have 2 electrics (nice ones too) and a cheap acoustic. I've had some good amps but I have to say I had a little "decade" when I started. It was a great little amp. Easy to haul around, didn't take up much space in the living room, had an amazingly full sound but played well at low volume when my brother and I were jamming at 3:00 am. If you're playing for you hit the music stores and try out some of the small inexpensive amps with a good name behind it. I like my Peavy but what a load if I want to take it somewhere.

I don't think people learn to play music, I think it's in you (or in some cases it's not) so if you feel the music go for it, it's a great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bettinacharlotta View Post
    Does anyone here play bass guitar?
    Iíve played bass for about 25 years. Just now rehearsing with a new band, doing covers from White Strips, Sublime, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Matchbox Twenty, Cheep Trick, Van Halen, The Clash, ZZ Top, Bush, Seether, Linkin Park and the Foo Fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by bettinacharlotta View Post
    I recently thought about getting a bass guitar some day. I'd just like to have one to play for fun. What would you people suggest? Brands, used or new? Types of pickups? What about the amplifier?
    I have the Rickenbacker 4003
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ass?sku=513600

I would suggest for starting out, a more affordable bass:
    Ibanez Fender and Rogue have some less pricey bases that are popular
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/electric-bass-guitars

If your gonna be playing any of the Alternative and new rock, a 5 string bass is really a necessity. The 5 string Musicman bass is on my wish list.

I would recommend the Crate BT25 Bass Combo Amp for a starter amp.
    Peavey has bass amps that are half decent also.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...ass+amps&Nty=1

What ever you do, donít buy anything with the name Berhringer.

When you decide on what you want.
    I usually go here to get the best price with shipping.
    http://musical-instruments.pricegrab...ies/m/7211144/

Then I'll go to Musiciansfriend.com
    and they will match the price, and the shipping fees.

Best Wishes,
    Joe

every time I see a post like this I think about my father, he plays Bass, box and electric Guitars, 12 Guitar, banjo, drums, harmonica, and organ. and I can't play nothing, cant even play the stock market, the only thing I and good at is working and pumping iron, 12oz at a time
    Ted

I have only owned one bass but have played quite a few - I play mostly guitar. The Yamaha RBX170 is very inexpensive but quite playable. It has served me well for several years.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ass?sku=511081

A pickup upgrade to EMG Active pickups made a big improvement and you may want to consider that after playing a while.
    http://www.emginc.com/bass.asp

I second naturebee on the amp. Crate BT25 or BT50 are great for use at home.

The best thing to do is to hit a few stores and play some basses and amps. You can't get the feel or sound from web sites. Once you have narrowed it down you can check prices on the web. I like to support local businesses when I can but not everything is available or affordable.
    I don't know if basses are as sensitive to professional setup but acoustic guitars and to a lesser extent electrics can benefit greatly from a setup by an experienced guitar tech. If you buy in a real music store they can do that for you and make changes as necessary. My Martin was not cheap and played well but when I took it to a real tech for a setup ($25) it was a definite improvement.
    If you know a bass player take him/her shopping with you.
    When my bees make me wealthy I am going to buy a Music Man Stingray
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=515555
    Let us know how it goes.

I researched the Crate BT25. I found a lot of good reviews about it and you people recommend it. I put it on my list of items to look for.
    How much difference is there in the sound using active or passive pickups? I would think passives are probably better for starting out. No batteries to worry about. Just plug the guitar in to the amp, the amp into the wall, and you're done, right?
    I'm going to see if I can get my mom to go to the place she was telling me about. Even if I don't get anything, I could just look around.
    Also, what's a good price for the BT25 amp? Some places have it on sale new for $99.99 others $199. Are used ones around the same? Or maybe it's just better to get a new one and not have to worry about possible problems. Oh, and I just noticed the BT50 is $129.99 on sale and $179.99 normal. Isn't bigger usually more expensive? Would a bigger one be better (saving money, longer lasting, etc.)? The BT50 doesn't seem to have as many good reviews though.
    Last edited by bettinacharlotta; 01-16-2008 at 06:42 PM.

The active pickups make a difference in sound because you can get better sustain and better bass response. Passive magnetic pickups have lower output at lower frequencies (the string is moving more slowly) and the actives have an amplifier to make up for that. Since pickups are fairly easy to change you can decide later after you play a while. Then find a bass with actives in a store and see what you think. I found it to be a nice upgrade and it made a cheap bass sound better. A more expensive bass probably comes with better pickups from the start and may not need an upgrade. I'm a tinkerer and couldn't help myself.
    I haven't played the BT50, just the BT25. I assumed it was the same design with a little more power and a little better speaker. The BT25 has a nice sound for $100.
    Shipping a combo amp will probably be expensive since they are heavy. Get a couple of total prices including shipping from the Net and then compare to local store prices.
    It is good to have more power in a bass amp because it takes energy to move a lot of air in the lower frequencies. You "feel" bass more than hear it on the lows and that means moving a large speaker cone a relatively long distance. I would pay another $30 for 25 more watts if the sound was as good but I'd want to hear the BT50 first.