Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Double Wide TBH in Sketchup

Thanks for the inspiration BWrangler! Sketchup is fun but very aggravating at times. I took your "double long combo" file and converted it to a TBH. I wanted my first hives to have maximum versatility so this hive has the correct dimensions of a double long deep for which supers could be added on top or standard frames added inside if desired. However, I'll be using it as a TBH for which I'll populate from a nuc (at least that's the plan). I added in a pitched roof telescoping cover (I like the look), rabbited joints on the body, a screened bottom and a slot for a removable bottom board, and removable legs. It has enough space for 24 1.25" bars. I had them at 5/8" thick which would have make them flush with the top of the box, but I see you are using 1" ones for rigidity. I bumped mine up to 1" as well. There should be enough room in the cover for some blue foam insulation.

These will be my first hives so everyone please look over the files and comment on any problems or suggestions you have. I'll probably make three or four of these, or at least cut the lumber for four of them at once. I'll be keeping these at the University I work for and the woodworking instructor has allowed me access to the shop so I'm going to take advantage of it while I can. I'm working on a cut list in Sketchup as well so I'll attach it. It needs some work at this point as there is some wasted lumber. I was going to work on it today but it warmed up enough to brew some beer (another of my many hobbies).

The Sketchup file: Double Wide TBH I've used several "Layers" so you can turn on and off various features, like the cover, etc.

The Sketchup Cut List: Double Wide Cut List

Some screenshots:

–Chris
    Last edited by TheCheatOSX; 01-27-2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Edit: How do you post images on this forum? the [img] tag doesn't seem to work

Thanks for pointing out this. I finally got a decent library of "Hive components" built and it's a blast to play with. Not CAD but powerful enough to do the simple illustrations I want.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

Hi TheCheatOSX,

Neat Tbh. Leaving the guy in for scale is a nice touch.

I've found Sketchup a little aggravating at times as well. Sometimes it forgets which surface goes with what component when layers are switched on or off, leaving hollow components. And try to select or push through a shape occasionally creates similar problems.

Zooming in, or pushing a surface back out of the way sometimes helps. Selecting components while in view > face view > wireframe works most of the time, but it's not very intuitive.

There's a tools > utility > create face > that might solve the missing surface problem. But I haven't worked much with it yet.

I put some of my hive Sketchup drawings in Google's 3D Warehouse. Your tbh would be a great addition there.

It's a very easy process. Just choose File > Warehouse > Share Model inside Sketchup.

Regards
    Dennis
    I once wrangled bees. But now, I know better, so I do better.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/

Thanks for reminding us about that. I uploaded most of my collection this morning. No shallow super in the stuff I did though. Someone else will have to do that.
    Last edited by xC0000005; 02-02-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Original was unclear. (Actually, pretentious if read wrong)
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

I can't stop tweaking on my design, as soon as I do I'll upload it to the Warehouse. I added in rear corner holes for housing nucs on the edges, reduced the top bars to 3/4", added in two follower boards, and drew in where the bolts will go for the removable legs. I'm reworking the cut list now.

Thanks for all the tips. The best thing I found was Grouping individual parts after I draw them. That way they can be selected independent from the other faces. Making the top bars Components was also helpful as when it came time to resize them, you only have to do it to one, the rest resize automatically. I also like using Layers.

-Chris

Hi Guys,

My latest 3D Warehouse submission isn't equipment, but is a 2mb broodnest cross section from my tbh. With Sketchup it can be zoomed, rotated, etc. Download it at:
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...d1&prevstart=0

Regards
    Dennis
    I once wrangled bees. But now, I know better, so I do better.
    http://talkingstick.me/category/bees/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12