Hybrid View

Default Pollen Trap Plans

Hi all.

I am getting ready to build some pollen traps using the design in the Spivak / Reuter manual on Queen rearing.

Interested in discussing this with anyone who has built from these plans or has opinions on it. Since I have top entrances I plan to close the top entrance while the trap is on the hive.

I would make slight modifications to the plans and make a top entrance trap. You can actually SIMPLIFY the trap for the top and get cleaner pollen and not have to retrain the work force.

Or just buy a Sundance II. They are very nice. If I could just talk Lloyd into making them for eight frame equipment...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

OK, good suggestion, should result in cleaner pollen. Thanks MB.

So I am thinking that they should crawl down through the #5 mesh, walk across the #8, then enter the hive. I will try to work something up so the drawer can be in the back.

Also good idea since I use upper entrances, and less distress on the hive taking the trap off / on.

Quote Originally Posted by BerkeyDavid View Post
    OK, good suggestion, should result in cleaner pollen. Thanks MB.

So I am thinking that they should crawl down through the #5 mesh, walk across the #8, then enter the hive. I will try to work something up so the drawer can be in the back.

Also good idea since I use upper entrances, and less distress on the hive taking the trap off / on.
    BerkeyDavid,
    I understand that #7 mesh works better than #8 mesh, supposedly the pollen pellets pass through more easily, and with less clogging.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

They should crawl up through the #5 and the pellets should fall down through #7 into the drawn which has window screen on the bottom.

Yes, Just have it so they can get down after they go through the #5. Front or back will work. Having the drawers in the back would seem convenient. Also, you could buy one of the Sundance II traps and use it for a pattern.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    They should crawl up through the #5 and the pellets should fall down through #7 into the drawn which has window screen on the bottom.
    Any reason why they would not crawl down?

I was thinking it would be like this
    ____________--------#5 screen ---------|
    Down to hive
    . . . . . . . . . .======= # 7 screen =====|
    Open space ? | Pollen drawer
    Hive