Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Suits?

13K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Ross 
#1 ·
2008 will be my second year in bee keeping and I like it. I am 6’4’ and about 280lbs. I know, I Know need to go on a diet, LOL. But the suit I have now is too short in the inseam. And during one stupid manipulation last season the girls paid me 15 times, through the suit.:eek: This was mostly my fault. So I am looking for a new suit. What is better cotton or nylon? Who makes a tall size? I know most of you experts don’t use suits but I am not confident enough to do that.

#4 ·
At 130# and a 34" inseam, nothing fits. I've often wondered if that extra 2" of cloth on the bottom would cost so much. I mean, if you have shorter legs, you can cuff the pants legs. If you have longer legs, there's no option.

#7 ·
I'm tall and it's a pain to get anything to fit. I hunt and it's tough to get clothes with a long enough inseam. My hunting buddy is 5' 10" and 170 lbs. Everything he orders comes in his size and he can't understand why I end up with what's available in my size instead of what I really want to buy. I've settled on wearing an inspector jacket and regular old jeans. When the girls are really cranky (like last fall), I put on the suit. Yes, it's short in the legs (and I agree wholeheartedly with Hobie....can't they just add a little material and let people roll the pants up if they don't need the length) but I wear tall rubber boots to make up the difference. 99% of the time, I only need the jacket but at least I can fall back on the suit/boots combo if I need to. The suit doesn't go to waste the rest of the year though....a good friend loves to watch the bees when I work them and she fits into the suit like it was made for her! Oh...also, I've found that bigger is always better as far as tall goes. I'd rather order a size or two larger. It helps with the length and a suit being a little baggy helps against stings, so long as you don't have so big that you can't work in it.

#13 ·
Kelley's is not custom making extra tall suits. They'll sew extra on the legs & add velcro, but it will be a different color fabric. I'll give Golden bee products a call, or just have my seamstress do what she's been doing. Problem is Kelley's largest suits aren't quite big enough around either.

Any other sources for custom suits would be appreciated muchly!

#17 ·
A catalog? That's new to me. I know they offer gloves and aprons of which I have or had both, I am not sure what all else the might offer, I'll have to give them a call.

The apron is made of a stiff vynil, I don't like it very much but I do use it when handling dripping and sticky supers.

Did the lady that returned your call sound really old? I am curious if it is still the old couple running the business.

#19 ·
Golden Bee

I left a message and she called me back in like 2 minutes. Older but not old, she was very nice, I asked if they had any info or a catalog on their suits she said they did, shes going to send me several for the bee club im in.:)

#21 ·
I'm about 6' 4" and now over 300. Couldn't find a fit at 255 either. With the help of my wife I have made a top out of double layered tight woven cotton about two and a half years ago. I'll make a new top with bottoms later until I can afford a "store bought" suit. Right now I wear grey sweat pants and rubberband the sleeves. Only stung once and I crushed her on my veil tie that was against my ribs. But if they have a catalog I would rather order from them, when I can.

#23 ·
Golden Bee Suits:
I called Golden Bee Products on 2/20/08 at a number from a previous post, 601-799-5660 and was informed that the wife has passed away and Mr. Lemoine was not well. They gave me the daughters phone number 504-456-8805 and said she runs the business currently. When I called the number, a women answered, and before I could utter a word, she started on a tirade of expletives that made me think I had connected with an insane person. Like many in this forum, I would like to purchase a suit, but am not certain what I might be getting myself into. Does anyone else no what is going on?

#26 ·
I called the number listed in ABJ (601) 799-5660 and was redirected to (504) 456-8805 also. Left a message and a couple of days later a Susan Lemoine called me back and was going to send me a brochure/order form. This was February 9, haven't heard or seen anything since. Left a message again yesterday, still nothing.

Also tried getting a suit from Magnet Man; ordered a suit and sent him a check in June of 2007. After hearing several times "we're starting to make suits again and you'll get a suit by......" I gave up in January. The check never did go through.

#27 ·
Magnet-man has finally gotten back into production. We had to add a room onto our house so we would have a halfway decent sewing room. The old room was a 10 by 15 room. That room gets real small once you put a 4 by 8 cutting table in. The contractor promised it would only take a month but it ended up taking three. I finally had to offer him a completion bonus just to get it finished.

Bill the suit has changed quite a bit. Check my web site and see if a large will fit you. It is easier to send you a new suit than to modify the original prototype I made for you.

The suit is different in the following ways:
1. The Velcro has been removed from the sleeves and pants and replace with a band of fabric with elastic.
2. There are zippers on the outside of each leg that go up to a little beyond the waist. This will allow you to put the suit on without taking off your boots. It also has a slider on top so you can get into your pants pocket.
3. There is a bee proof flap where the zippers meet for the veil.
4. Based on recommendation by commercial beekeepers, the solid fabric and pockets have been removed from the front of the suit. The feedback was the fabric killed the ventilation. These pockets have been replaced by a hive tool pocket on each side of the leg. There is also a back pocket. For those wanting a knee patch fabric is supplied with each suit. Because everyone’s knee will not be at the same height, there is no way for me to know where to put them. Since the pants unzip up to the waist, the knee pad is easy to sew on.

I have five suits almost finished that are going to be shipped to my back order people. I have done a time study on these five suits and production time has decreased.

#29 ·
Bill the suit has changed quite a bit. Check my web site and see if a large will fit you. It is easier to send you a new suit than to modify the original prototype I made for you.
That's an impressive sizing chart! Yes, the large should do just fine. I'm looking forward to getting it and to see the modifications you have incorporated.

Congratulations on getting back into the swing of it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.