Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bee Suits?

Default Bee Suits?

2008 will be my second year in bee keeping and I like it. I am 6’4’ and about 280lbs. I know, I Know need to go on a diet, LOL. But the suit I have now is too short in the inseam. And during one stupid manipulation last season the girls paid me 15 times, through the suit. This was mostly my fault. So I am looking for a new suit. What is better cotton or nylon? Who makes a tall size? I know most of you experts don’t use suits but I am not confident enough to do that.

I've ordered tall suits through walter t kelley. Still too short in the inseam in my opinion.

I'm tall so the suits don't fit. ( 6'7" 250#) I went with a jacket (inspector) which works very well.

At 130# and a 34" inseam, nothing fits. I've often wondered if that extra 2" of cloth on the bottom would cost so much. I mean, if you have shorter legs, you can cuff the pants legs. If you have longer legs, there's no option.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Sprig View Post
    What is better cotton or nylon?
    I prefer cotton, it's tough and comfortable. Of course the looser the better (air is the best insulator, even against bee stings!)

-Nathanael
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org

Quote Originally Posted by shawnwri View Post
    I've ordered tall suits through walter t kelley. Still too short in the inseam in my opinion.
    Kelley is looking into making "taller" tall suits. I talked to them last week about custom suits. I'm 6'7" 250# and NEED a taller/bigger suit. It's big perrenial yellowjacket time and I'm getting nailed pretty regular. They said to check back week of 1/7 when pam? gets back.
    Richard Martyniak, M.S. Entomologist - http://AllFloridaBeeRemoval.com

I'm tall and it's a pain to get anything to fit. I hunt and it's tough to get clothes with a long enough inseam. My hunting buddy is 5' 10" and 170 lbs. Everything he orders comes in his size and he can't understand why I end up with what's available in my size instead of what I really want to buy. I've settled on wearing an inspector jacket and regular old jeans. When the girls are really cranky (like last fall), I put on the suit. Yes, it's short in the legs (and I agree wholeheartedly with Hobie....can't they just add a little material and let people roll the pants up if they don't need the length) but I wear tall rubber boots to make up the difference. 99% of the time, I only need the jacket but at least I can fall back on the suit/boots combo if I need to. The suit doesn't go to waste the rest of the year though....a good friend loves to watch the bees when I work them and she fits into the suit like it was made for her! Oh...also, I've found that bigger is always better as far as tall goes. I'd rather order a size or two larger. It helps with the length and a suit being a little baggy helps against stings, so long as you don't have so big that you can't work in it.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I've taken to having a seamstress friend sew an extra 8" strip on the bottom of the legs. Problem with that is she likes to put a couple ladybugs in strategic spots on the suit. Sure does'nt help my manliness

When you order a suit from Golden Bee Products you have to give them your measurements. They usually get it right, but telling them a little longer and bigger is better.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Default Golden-Bee

Do you have/or can you give me any contact info for Golden Bee Products?

I've been getting reports that people can't seem to get a hold of them. But here's the last I had:

Golden Bee Products
    3524 Hwy 43 North
    Picayune, MS 39466
    601-799-5660

They usually have an ad in the ABJ. You might look there and see if there's been a change.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you Michael. As I am new to beek, I just signed up for ABJ and I am looking forward to reading it.

Sprig
    God Willing and the creeks don't rise I'll be there.

Kelley's is not custom making extra tall suits. They'll sew extra on the legs & add velcro, but it will be a different color fabric. I'll give Golden bee products a call, or just have my seamstress do what she's been doing. Problem is Kelley's largest suits aren't quite big enough around either.

Any other sources for custom suits would be appreciated muchly!

golden bee products 4405 lake villa , metairie la.70002 504-456-8805 .Tag on suite i got last yr.

Default Golden Bee

I just talked to them yesterday, ordered a catalog. 1- 504 456-8805 was the number she called me back on. Going to order one soon...

Quote Originally Posted by suprstakr View Post
    golden bee products 4405 lake villa , metairie la.70002 504-456-8805 .Tag on suite i got last yr.

metairie? wonder if they will ship some boudain with the suit. Now THAT would be value !

A catalog? That's new to me. I know they offer gloves and aprons of which I have or had both, I am not sure what all else the might offer, I'll have to give them a call.

The apron is made of a stiff vynil, I don't like it very much but I do use it when handling dripping and sticky supers.

Did the lady that returned your call sound really old? I am curious if it is still the old couple running the business.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Has anyone gottern a suit from Golden Bee lately?

My wife was planning to order me a suit for my xmas present and decided against it when they could/would not estimate a delivery date. They said they were still in recovery mode from Katrina.

Maybe I will have to order my wife one for anniversary present - in my size.
    Last edited by JohnBeeMan; 01-06-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

Default Golden Bee

I left a message and she called me back in like 2 minutes. Older but not old, she was very nice, I asked if they had any info or a catalog on their suits she said they did, shes going to send me several for the bee club im in.

Default Suits

Sprig,

I sent you a PM. I don't know if you saw it or not.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast