Hybrid View

Default Jenter or Ezi Queen?

Does anyone have experience with the Ezi Queen system that Dadant sells? How does it compare to the original Jenter system?
    (Jenter Queen Rearing System Dadant EZI QUEEN SYSTEM)

look at grafting. In the end, it is easier and a lot more fun doing it!

I have not used it. I'd say one of the main differences is that the plugs come in a "stick" in the EZI method which lets you put the plugs into the box very quickly. The plugs, however, snap off to put them into the cups, which means they aren't very reusable.

I would imagine they would both work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    look at grafting. In the end, it is easier and a lot more fun doing it!
    I can't speak for anyone else, but my old eyes just don't cut it. I've tried. I just got a Jenter. I don't know how well it'll work but at least I can see well enough to catch the queen and put her in the cage.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but my old eyes just don't cut it. I've tried. I just got a Jenter. I don't know how well it'll work but at least I can see well enough to catch the queen and put her in the cage.
    I am with you Dan + the Larvae is untouched or disturbed!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I use the Mann Lake version (Nicot) much like Jentner. The cell cups are transluscent and you can see the egg/larva from the back. The cups transfer easily to the cell cup holder. No larvae are touched or moved or grafted in a queen cup upside down.

The beauty is you have a choice to see what works best for you. I don't graft and there's a billion beekeepers that always question me as to "why not?"

Some people love grafting. I haven't bothered.

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://www.MakingPlasticFramesWork.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Ditto what Grant said. I do not find grafting easier.

Quote Originally Posted by opinapis View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Ezi Queen system that Dadant sells? How does it compare to the original Jenter system?
    (Jenter Queen Rearing System Dadant EZI QUEEN SYSTEM)
    I have both systems. The Dadant EZI comes with a video, which makes it a little easier to figure out what to do with all the parts. Bushy's Jenter system does not come with a video; therefore, I had to call Steve to explain to me how to use all of the parts. Grafting is easier; I made my own grafting tool out of a piece of wire 40 years ago. The only thing that has changed in 40 years is my eyesight!