Default non-chlorine water treatment

We moved to a house that has sulfur in the water (well). Are there ways to treat it that don't use chlorine? Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

We are in a rural area and not too far South from us, the water has "sulfur" smell to it. I'm not sure if it's actually sulfur or an anaerobic bacterial problem, because both can cause a similar foul smell in the water. I am aware of an aeration system that some people use where their water is pumped from the well to a large holding tank, then aerated (I'm not sure of the mechanism for that), then pumped to the house. I found a helpful site on the web about water problems that you may be interested in reading. I'll see if I can find it again, and post the link for you. I know that some people in this area use salt pellets for softening their well water, but I don't know what the specific problem is that they are treating.

Here's the site I mentioned:

http://www.agwt.org/info/bacteria.htm

I am actually in the water treatment industry. It depends on the amount of sulphur that you have but yes there are a few alternatives. PM me and I can advise you of some.

Quote Originally Posted by space bee View Post
    We moved to a house that has sulfur in the water (well). Are there ways to treat it that don't use chlorine? Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
    How BAD is the smell? Is it in both the hot and cold?

Where I live our well is JUST at the top of the sulfur level ( my well guy wont go another 5 ft down) so in most cases the HOT is the only one that smells and an alteration to the water heater can remove MOST of the smell.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I am not sure how bad the smell is because the chlorine system is still in there. Generally folks who have sulfur in the area have it pretty strongly....