Hybrid View

Default overwintering mini matting nucs?

Has any one tried and succeed to overwinter small mating nucs in the northern states?
    After I was done wrapping my 5 frame nucs, this week I noticed that some of my mini matting nucs were still alive and some still had some honey, they were the ones sold by Bee works in Canada, bigger than Apidea and Man Lake.

At the end of the season I let these small nucs alone. Most were dead and I was cleaning the frames making them ready for next season. In one particular beeyard I was surprised to see that a number of these nucs were still alive and heavy in honey.

I do overwinter plenty of 5 frame nucs but dont have any experience overwintering these matting nucs.

I understand the challenge but has any here in the North tried successfully?

Gilman

Gilman:

I am attempting to over winter 5 mini nucs. So far so good. Last week, I made a sugar cake (easy to make) and put them in the hive. Gives me a little extra insurance.

My only concern is that I am hoping they will survive the winter. We already had two snows and a few freezing days with temps low in the 20's.

I am interested in the mini nucs for next year. Which ones are you guys using? Homemade or from a company?

Apidea, Mann Lake, Bee Works and I made 4 way half deep frames, brother Adam stile.
    I am overwintering bees in 5 frame nucs and 4 ways. I do have some nucs still OK in Bee Works.

Gilman

Cs:

Go to Lazybeestudio.com. These are the best ones that I have ever used.

CSBees,

If you have shb, you probably don't want mini-nucs. Shb, love mini-nucs to death, just love them. Within a night or two, you will have more shb in them than bees.

CS ... you have a PM.

Default mini nuc

Check out the new mini nucs in Mann Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Velbert View Post
    Check out the new mini nucs in Mann Lake
    I called them today, they are not styrofoam but hard plastic and will be available in March.

Gilman