Thread: New Snow Plow

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Default New Snow Plow

Just picked up my new snow plow.
    Bought a Western 8' Pro Plow.
    What a difference between this plow setup and my 25 + year old Western Pro Plow, I just sold.

I got rid of my old 8' Western this fall myself....... Didn't replace it but I have used the newer ones and like you said........ Wow. Especially the ones that "V" out.

Now I'm using the Bobcat and bucket.

Looked at the "V" Plows, they are sweet. But they were another $1,000.00 or so more. The 8' Pro Plow was bad enough.

Well had a chance to use the new plow and truck setup.

Went from a cable system to a hand held controller.

All went well and I am very happy with the way everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    I got rid of my old 8' Western this fall myself....... Didn't replace it but I have used the newer ones and like you said........ Wow. Especially the ones that "V" out.

Now I'm using the Bobcat and bucket.
    Sundance.

How is well does the bobcat/bucket work for you? I have 1/8 of a mile to plow in winter. Think a bucket would be enough for a bobcat to handle that or would a blade be necessary for it?
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

"Now I'm using the Bobcat and bucket."
    Bruce, have I been understanding you have dived off the deep end into the bee business? I assume the bobcat was purchased for moving bees. What are you running these days?

I''ve considered putting a plow om my truck but our driveway is one of those steep dirt monsters and my wife spends much of her time digging ruts with her Wrangler. My son does it with a 4 wheeler and a plow. How much does the plow degrade the front of the truck on rough terrain?

In the meantime Mountain, We got 6 inches yesterday, another 6-10 coming Sat. night. Perhaps you could swing through my drive when you finish yours??

Joel...... Yes the Bobcat is mainly for bees. But man, after having one I am not sure how I got along without one!! Makes short work of snow moving. I don't miss the plow at all.

Still have my dreams of getting a Swinger down the road but last winters arse kicking set that back a good ways.

In regard to how hard the plow is on the truck........... it really depends (isn't that the stock answer??) If you are smart and just move your own stuff then the wear and tear isn't bad. But if you're moving snow for $$$ then they beat the heck out of vehicles.

Joel, we got about 10" from this last one.
    They have not given any prediction on totals yet, only that it will be significant starting Saturday around noon and ending sometime Monday.

If you are doing your own drive, take it easy and don't try and do it real fast, it's not bad. I have 1/3 mile of gravel driveway, sorry Mountain Camp Road, that comes up about 100' in elevation from the town road and then down the top of the ridge.

I will suggest a Western over a Fisher for rough terrain. The Western plow lays down if you catch something and it is a lot more forgiving on the front end. The Fishers only have a tripe edge and if you catch something above the trip edge, you have problems. Look around at the Fisher plows and most will have edges that are bent and dinged.

I went from the last (3) trucks that my old plow was on were beaters and rebuild over and over. I had the plow for 20 years.

To a 2002 GMC 2500HD with a Duramax Diesel. It only has 40,000 miles on and runs great. Heck, it starts in cold weather without having to talk nice and rub the dashboard.

"Heck, it starts in cold weather without having to talk nice and rub the dashboard."

I have to do all that and kiss the tail pipe in cold weather if I'm not plugged in!

Thanks guys, after refining my biodiesel set up the Plow is next! Spent nearly 45 minutes as ballast on the back of my sons Timberwolf Sunday while he plowed. It does everything well just takes too many passes. Sounds like MC has a drive about like mine.

Default Mountain Camp Road

Joel, The tracks to the left are Mountain Camp Road.
    http://www.mountaincampfarm.com/wst_...pg&&ID2=JlnW6d

We started today with almost 2 feet on the ground, temps went to about 42F, heavy rain and high winds all day.

The other Fire Company in town, is out with flooding from the rain and snow melt.