Default Adding Bulk Bees to a Cell Builder

Is there any negative ramification on the queen of a cell builder if you shake in bulk bees?

Default Precautions

Make sure there is not a queen (would let them stay queen less over night)

If I had cells in the process of being built I would wait after they were finished ,THEN add the bulk bees

I would cage the queen just to be on the safe side (pace her in a cage by herself and fill the candy hole about half full just before put in the bulk bees.

Also I would take my small spray bottle filled with diluted syrup and give both the bulk bees a good spraying and also the cell builder. Then dump them in.

Default Use An Excluder

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    Is there any negative ramification on the queen of a cell builder if you shake in bulk bees?
    Velbert gave some good tips. I would add one more.

When adding bees to a cell builder...before graft, not after...you should use a shaker box. This is nothing more than a wood bound excluder nailed to the bottom of a good hive body...no holes. Place on cell builder, and shake nurse bees from other colonies...off open brood. You never know when there may be a second or even third queen in your donor colony. If you fail to see her, your cell builder will be a failure.

So, Michael, this is just a way of making sure the queen isn't shook in? Something like that is used when making a package, too?
    WayaCoyote

Quote Originally Posted by wayacoyote View Post
    So, Michael, this is just a way of making sure the queen isn't shook in? Something like that is used when making a package, too?
    Sort of the same thing. Same principle, anyway. With a package, if you happen to get a queen, its not really a big deal. Loss of caged queen I would guess. With a cell builder it means disaster. Finding the queen doesn't insure that there wasn't a second queen.