Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ross:

Thanks for the pics. You design is simpler, cheaper to build, and looks like it would be a heck of a lot more efficient than the one I built out of an empty super. I think I'll take the time to duplicate it before I get into my winter frame building mode.
    doug

Default Frame Jig.

Ross,

Thanks for the pictures of the frame jig. Simple and easy to use.

r/

Andy

Ross youíre a real handy man, itís such an easy, and smart design. Makes my wonder why I didnít think of it myself. I am always trying to figure way to use up scrap lumber. Now I know what Iíll be doing on my next day off. Winter is when I do most of my woodworking projects.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

It's not my design. It was posted here a couple of years ago. I just built it and photographed the process. I'm still trying to get a good box jig together.

I have thought of a minor improvement, attach a piece of lumber on the outside where the removable board is slid in to hold the frame pieces so you can clamp them tight.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Tight would be toward the middle. I haven't found it necessary. I just give them a push and nail. The nail acts as the clamp until the glue sets.

Ross

I just tried out the jig I made following your pictures. I love it. It takes me half the time it took to use my old jig.
    doug

Default Frame jig..

Ross,

I made a few of those frame jigs. One for me, one for a fellow Beek and the last one to bring to the next Bee meeting for a door prize. Easy to make and use. Thanks again.

Andy

I happened onto this forum a few days ago. (I'm a ten hive guy in western North Carolina.) I'm adding a few supers this season and I just finished the frame jig from the plans section here on Beesource. Two hours after starting to rip the pieces the first ten frames were finished. Sure am going to be glad I found this place.

Tom

I made a jig similar to one described earlier recently. I can not believe how much easier it made assembly. I'm making my frames and my first attempts were by the frame. Now I make a whole slew of pieces prior to changing the jig to make the next. Makes life easier.

Ross,
    Another "thank you". After viewing your pics I slapped together a jig from scrap plywood based on your photos and.. wow... what a time saver! Just put together 40 frames in no time.
    To everything there is a season....

Johnson's Paste Wax will keep the glue from sticking to your jig. Maybe you guys aren't messy, but I slop the glue pretty good when I'm doing a couple 100 frames at a time.

Default Frame/box jig

Hi Ross,

I wanted to say thanks for your frame jig design. It is so much easier to make and use than some of the other complicated designs and can be made from scrap. Also, I made a box jig using the same design but with box-size dimensions. For the first time my boxes are almost perfectly square!
    BTW, how did you get the cut-out piece so straight and square? Mine work fine but don't look nearly as nice as yours.

Thanks,

Jeffrey
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

I made my cutouts on the tablesaw. Just raise the blade to the depth of the notch and make repeated cuts to nibble it out. You could also do it by making a couple of cuts on a bandsaw with a narrow blade, or a jigsaw, or just use a chisel.

Ross, I've been using two frame jigs made from your design since I first saw you post it a year or two ago. They work great and I really like the simplicity, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I prefer this one. You can build it in about 15 minutes out of scrap and it works great.
    http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm
    Ross,

Would you mind e-mailing me dimensions for your jig? It looks a lot easier to make than the one in the Beesource plans.

Jeff Fogel
    esfogel@comcast.net

Smile Frame Assembly Jig

I used a Walter T. Kelly frame jig and had my finish carpenter modify the dimentions for my 4-way mating nucs full depth frames.
    When you pay good wages for the frame assembly it is a must have item.
    We assembled over 4,000 frames for the 2007 & 2008 queen season.
    We assemble them with wide crown staples and staple guns purchased at American fasteners.
    Just one of the attributes of the jig is that it holds the frame together so that you can be dead for placeing the nail or staple.
    We made 8 jigs for assembly line type work. Kinda like Henry Ford!
    FYI: I suggest dipping the frame ends, top bars, and bottom bars in water for at least 5 minutes to prevent the wood from splitting. The realitive humidity here can be as low as 10% and believe wooden will dry out and the staple or nail will follow the wood grain!
    Buy one or make one so that you have more "free time" for other priorities.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Lucas Apiaries
    Last edited by Barry; 02-03-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: font size adjustment

Smile Typo

That is dead on as in accurate
    Ernie

I built a similar to yours frame jig Ross. yesterday some members of our bee club spent the day putting together hive parts at VA Tech for a research project they are starting. I assembled many many frames using the jig and my pneumatic stapler. Everyone, including myself, was impressed with the speed of assembly.
    There was another jig there built with springs that worked very well too.

As for dimensions, you need to size it to the frames you use. There are differences in the end bar thicknesses. You want the box to be snug but not tight around the frames, maybe a sheet of paper or so space so the frames will come out without having to pull on them. The other dimension is the width of 10 end bars, again snug so they stand up straight. The height depends on whether you use it for mediums or deeps. Mine is as high as I would want for mediums, about 3.5". Any more and you can't get the nail gun under the top bars easily.
    Last edited by Ross; 02-03-2008 at 09:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast