Default Cross wiring Brood Frames

Is it really necessary to cross wire full depth frames when using crimp wire foundation. I have been thinking maybe I am wasting time since the foundation is crimp wired. I have been cross wiring the center two holes for years.... Thoughts?

100% necessary, NO. You can extract very slowly and carefully and be successful.

Desirable, and well worth the effort, YES.
    A couple of blowouts when you spin a little too fast will make you go back to cross wiring very quickly.

Full depth foundation?

Well, no. A lot of people don't bother. And as I see it, if you use it for brood only, you don't need to wire it. But, if the bees use it for storing honey, then the foundation could sag from the weight.

Where wiring really comes into play is when extracting. Otherwise, the wax tends to warp and break up while spinning.

Does this mean that I don't wire my deep brood foundation? Nope. I wire all my foundation. I'm afraid that the foundation could sag because of the added length of the wax foundation. And also because, in the winter, there's nothing else to do besides re-hab frames.

DS

>Is it really necessary to cross wire full depth frames when using crimp wire foundation.<

I would say yes, if you want straight combs. Have you ever seen wired foundation made? The wires are wound on a big spool. As the foundation moves along a conveyor, the wires unroll off the spool, and are embedded in the wax. These wires have a memory...sort of. The curve from the spool remains, and the foundation will curve accordingly. Wires not only add strength for extracting, they help hold the foundation straight as it is being drawn.

The two center wires are really all that is necessary.

I wire brood frames out of habit mostly to keep straight combs, and in the unlikely likelihood that I might want to, have to, choose to extract them.

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://www.25hives.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I had just been feeling lazy. Since I asked the initial question I've wired up another hundred frames....thanks for confirming what I didn't want to hear