Thread: Oliverez Queens

Hybrid View

Default Oliverez Queens

I know that Oliverez bought out another queen producer in Hawaii. What will this mean? Can you specifiy where the queens come from?

I hesititate buying queens from Hawaii since they really do not have the mite load that we do here and thought maybe they lack in hygenic behavior.

Any thoughts on this?

California queens I got from them several years back, mite collapsed promptly.

what do you mean Frank?

I got four packages from them in spring 2004, installed them in my jumbo hives. Two built up great, drew out combs and even made a small crop. The other two built up. This picture was taken March 2005, all died out during the winter leaving huge frames solid with honey. I assume from mites.

I ordered 5 NWC Queens from Oliverez this fall, and all five were accepted readily. So far they are doing ok...we will see how they do through the winter. Best wishes to you...
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I got four packages from them in spring 2004, installed them in my jumbo hives. Two built up great, drew out combs and even made a small crop. The other two built up. This picture was taken March 2005, all died out during the winter leaving huge frames solid with honey. I assume from mites.
    odfrank,
    I'm not saying this to start an argument.

But your first post claimed straight up....mite kill.

Your second post, "assumed" mite kill.

I really think we should all be more careful when judging or making claims against bee breeders.

You don't mention mite levels, counts, treatments used, or anything else. For all we know, it could of been anything. Management, pesticides, etc.

Myself, I have ordered many Olivarez queens. I like the NWC stock. They are one of the few I have found to be on time every year. Its one of the best places to find early queens if you want carni.

Chef,
    Their Hawaii operation is totally separate from the California operation. I would not be too concerned about one being fused with the other. The Hawaii operation is a great resource for commercial operators that need mid-winter queens and large numbers of standard stock. The California stock is much better with mite selection and stock that you would be interested with.

Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    odfrank,
    I'm not saying this to start an argument.

Bjorn, your no fun,

Ray's queens are just fine.

BTW, I brokered that HI-CA deal.

Aloha Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    I hesititate buying queens from Hawaii since they really do not have the mite load that we do here and thought maybe they lack in hygenic behavior.

Any thoughts on this?
    This is not true the major queen producer's in Hawaii all import semen from the mainland, and II their breeder queens. Joe Latshaw, and Sue Coby are some of the people that they get their improvements from. This gives them the best of both world's, they introduce genetics/hygenic behavior traits into their stock, and yet produce queens/drones that have not been exposed to the latest/greatest treatments. I have bought queens from Big Island, Kona, and Hawaiian Queen companies, and have been very pleased with my purchases.

Thank you for the info Pan. I actually do recall Sue mentioning that in her class.