Hybrid View

Default Sources for April 08' queens

Other than the texas Weavers apiary's, anyone got a dependable source of April queens ?

I just need one

input ??

regards
    Brad

I'm supposed to be getting a batch of them from Olivarez the second week of April or so... I'll be putting them in the nucs I plan to sell. When I talk to them next month I can see if they'd put an extra one in there for you or something if you'd want to drive up this way. Might be a little far though.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
    I'm supposed to be getting a batch of them from Olivarez the second week of April or so... I'll be putting them in the nucs I plan to sell. When I talk to them next month I can see if they'd put an extra one in there for you or something if you'd want to drive up this way. Might be a little far though.

Thanks for the thought Dan, yea the gas would suck up the price of second queen. I am just wanting to split one of my hives pre may swarm season

Might check with Fat Beeman.
    I got 2 from him this year.
    Very pleased with them.

Look here.

http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/usbees.htm

make some phone calls, subsribe to ABJ, or Bee Culture, lots of adds.

<I am just wanting to split one of my hives pre may swarm season>

Why not just keep a close eye on them in the spring and when they start the first queen cells leave the first cells and one frame of brood in the old location, move the queen and the rest of the brood and young bees several feet away, and if you don't want the new queen they make re-queen later when you can be more certain the queen you get is adequately bred. The last time I bought April queens they were all losers because we had bad weather during the time they should have taken their mating flight. None of them kept laying more than five months after they were introduced but they appearantly still produced enough queen substance that the bees didn't supercede them before it was too late. I strongly feel that if I had waited until mid to late May for delivery I would have had much better results.
    doug

http://www.konaqueen.com/index.html

Kona Queen Hawaii. I'd suspect they'd have queens earlier than Weavers.