Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Oh happy day!

8K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  dcross 
#1 ·
I uncovered three bumblebee queens while rototilling the garden today. They look like bombus impatiens, which are commonly raised in captivity:) They're spending the winter in my refrigerator.

Amazingly, every one of them went through the tines of the tiller, and I stepped on one, but they all look fine.

#4 ·
They were in full sun, fairly soft ground that might have been covered by watermelon vines when they dug in(bare now), they were less than two inches deep. There is a small pile of woodchips nearby but they were at least a foot away from it.

I've got them in tiny Glad ware containers with lots of slits in the top and bottom and some shredded leaves. I put the small containers in a larger one with a damp paper towel for humidity and then covered it loosely.

According to Befriending Bumblebees that should do it. :shrug:

#5 ·
I've never tried to keep bumblebees alive overwinter. I do know the biology of bumbles. Only the mated queens survive through the winter. Are you trying to keep the workers alive?

>According to Befriending Bumblebees that should do it. :shrug:<

What does this site say? I'd be interested to see if you can keep the old queen and her workers alive in your frige.

#10 ·
Cool! I had 'scheduled' to build bumble bee boxes this week, but have been building/rebuilding a goat barn instead. I demolished this old mini barn and am building a new one with the good hardwood thats still there. In a few of the pieces, I cut into carpenter bee tunnels and found overwintering, mature carpenter bees. I put those pieces up in a dry place and hope to re-establish them in the spring. I think carpenter bees have an untapped potential as commercial pollinators, but it may be one of my many hair-braind schemes! Either way I think they are cool and like having them around.

I also got into looking into my blackberry patch for Ceratina bees. There is a picture of them at this link.
http://www.cirrusimage.com/bees_small_carpenter.htm

Looking in my blackberry patch, I found old blackberry twigs that died probably year before last. The ends where burrowed into, and dissecting them, I found overwintering Ceratina bees. I put some of these up as well and harvested some of the larger blackberry twigs to make bundles and try and make Ceratina nests out of them in spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.