Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Well, it was Black Hog Down at about 7:30 pm last night. She's now in the freezer. Does anyone here know how to make bacon from scratch?
    You out running around shooting things in the dark? Your my kind of guy! Night vision, or spotlight?

However you do it, be sure to include curing it first. I like to cure the entire hog, that makes the absolute best chops I have ever had. Yum!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Thanks for the link. Do you think the excessive saltiness was a mistake on your part, or a bad recipe?
    I've done a few of this guys recipes and they've all been good so I assume I messed up. For example, I use his smoked ribs recipe every now and then and have learned that you need to be very careful with brining as it can be easy to end up too salty. Salinity, temp, time are all pretty critical and if you set something up you need to make sure you'll be there to take it out on time. Don't go visiting your mom and figure things will be just fine, for example .

I would try the recipe again given the chance.
    JohnF INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    You out running around shooting things in the dark? Your my kind of guy! Night vision, or spotlight?

However you do it, be sure to include curing it first. I like to cure the entire hog, that makes the absolute best chops I have ever had. Yum!
    How do you cure the whole hog? This sounds like a great idea.
    JohnF INTP

Well dragonfly congrats on the pork,my season(personally)hasn't started yet,I just had 3 stints put in my ticker.So as soon as my wife the nurse(she really is one)and the heart Doctor give me the green light,I'm hitting the woods

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by John F View Post
    How do you cure the whole hog? This sounds like a great idea.
    I cheated. I took it to a meat processor. I have had the hams cured before and forgot to have the bacon cured and could hardly stand to eat the bacon. So the next time I said to just cure the whole thing. Yeah, it was a great idea to smoke the whole thing! I never expected the chops to be soooo good!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Hehe, I probably couldn't shoot myself in the foot in the dark, but DH is a great shot in any conditions. He has a spotlight, and he also has a rifle with a red dot scope on it. I think he prefers the spotlight for hogs. Apparently, hogs don't have very good vision, and the light doesn't seem to alarm them.

Quote Originally Posted by John F View Post
    For example, I use his smoked ribs recipe every now and then and have learned that you need to be very careful with brining as it can be easy to end up too salty. .
    Why do you brine ribs for smoking? What kind of seasoning, rub, or sauce do you use? We smoke them using either barbeque sauce or a homemade rub that DH makes. I guess you guys must do ribs different in your part of the country?

The curing that I read about on the guy's blog that I mentioned earlier has brown sugar and pepper, and a couple of other seasonings that I don't recall now. He cures bacon packed in this rub for 7 days in the fridge, rinses the rub off, lets the bacon sit in the fridge for another 24 hours, then smokes it.

I guess you guys must do ribs different in your part of the country?
    I make ribs all kinds of ways. The recipe in that book is one that brine cures the ribs first. One of my favorites. It's what I imagine BBs whole hog was like.

The curing that I read about on the guy's blog that I mentioned earlier has brown sugar and pepper, ...
    Sugar curing can't get salty. I'd try it. Let us know how it worked out.
    JohnF INTP

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234