Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Congrats PJ........... Hope your summer went well. I have yet to pull the pin on mine. Had several in the sights but too small. I helped with lining up the bucks for my buddies boys though.

Rifle ends this weekend. My buddy is coming out here at 10 AM and hopefully we'll fill a couple doe tags.

Here we can use the tags for bow and black powder as well. So the season runs into January. Brrrrrrrrrrrr

I haven't seen horns all season. Gonna lay off hunting for a week and get some other stuff done.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Grrrr. Chappin' my hide. Hot weather shot down my deer hunt, same for everyone I've talked to. Elk are just coming down but haven't gotten into them yet. Now the wife needs help painting for the rest of the weekend .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Going pretty well so far. Finished with deer for the season (got 2) and have switched over to ducks now. My chocolate lab is very pleased with this development. Kept one of the deer for myself, butchered and wrapped the other for my neighbor and his family's freezer. I like the idea of friends and family eating clean, healthy meat.
    Made a trade of my honey for elk steaks with a buddy who had great success this year in the Oregon Coast range. Not a bad trade!

Default Oops!!

"Shoot a feral/wild cat........SAVE A BIRD.......thanks."----Oldbee. #16

I was only joking!!!!!

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/colu...258744&ntpid=3

Was that you? Sorry!
    Last edited by Oldbee; 11-27-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: addition

Nice young cow elk. It nearly killed the two of us dragging her out. And for humane crowd, it was a single shot from a 180 grain .300 H&H magnum at around 250 yards. She dropped exactly where she was standing.

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=DSCN4487.jpg

While out jump shooting ducks this week I snuck up on a channel that usually holds mallards. The approach is through 5' tall canary grass but as the wind was blowing and it was raining my noise was covered.
    I got near the edge of the channel and there on the other side (20 yards) was a nice 4x4 buck standing at the water's edge! He stood there and watched me keep walking towards him with my dog and did... nothing! I scanned the water for ducks, and it was my shot on a greenhead that scared him off.
    Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by longarm View Post
    While out jump shooting ducks this week I snuck up on a channel that usually holds mallards. The approach is through 5' tall canary grass but as the wind was blowing and it was raining my noise was covered.
    I got near the edge of the channel and there on the other side (20 yards) was a nice 4x4 buck standing at the water's edge! He stood there and watched me keep walking towards him with my dog and did... nothing! I scanned the water for ducks, and it was my shot on a greenhead that scared him off.
    Weird.
    So tell me. Ya got a good way to cook ducks? The few I have eaten were, should I say, less than impressive.

DH shot a couple of does last week and we butchered and froze them. He's gone off hunting wild hogs tonight- hope he sees one. We have just about all our little freezer can hold for now, but fortunately, there's no season on hogs.
    Glad to hear all you guys are having a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    So tell me. Ya got a good way to cook ducks? The few I have eaten were, should I say, less than impressive.
    Depends on the duck. Some ducks just aren't good eat'n. I like and will shoot pintails, mallards, teal, mallards and mallards. I like them roasted at very low moist heat (I use a claypot) for a long time. My grandma, uhum, grandmother had a recipe that used a pressure cooker. She took that with her and there's been more than one of us live folk that have tried to copy it without success (so far).

Have you tried domestic duck and goose? Right, these aren't really the same but it can give us a notion of where your tastes lie. Is the complaint dryness or gaminess? (or yuckiness, like old lamb... bad experience)

Edit:

Oh yeah, my absolute favorite foul experience is a very slow roasted moist canada goose. Then take the leftovers and make noodle soup. I love that soup. I've even had occasion to declare the entire roasted goose as leftovers so I can make the soup.
    JohnF INTP

Quote Originally Posted by John F View Post
    Depends on the duck. Some ducks just aren't good eat'n. I like and will shoot pintails, mallards, teal, mallards and mallards. I like them roasted at very low moist heat (I use a claypot) for a long time.
    It's mostly the "toughness" combined with the "oiliness" that I didn't really like, but not the taste that I objected to. It was "okay" but nothing that I would actively pursue. I have a nice clay baking roaster from Pampered Chef. Is that the type of pot you are talking about? What temp? How long? Do you season it with anything special? May I assume you cook it with the skin intact? I have eaten a few mallards, a teal (if I remember correctly), and a small duck from Louisiana that I can't recall the name of. I would love to have a good way to cook it, as DH loves to hunt, but doesn't kill what he won't eat. I personally love to eat wild game for its high quality as opposed to what you can buy at the grocer.

>Oh yeah, my absolute favorite foul experience

A foul fowl experience? How wonderfoul!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Got a doe and a buck this week, nice ten point typical, heavy, should make a lot of jerky. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Got a doe and a buck this week, nice ten point typical, heavy, should make a lot of jerky. Yum!
    Come on BB... show us the pictures....
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

i killed a 5x5 buck with my bow out of a tree stand on public land. i missed low the first shot but he didnt know what was up and i had time to nock another arrow and hit him right in the boiler room. i will post some pics if i can figure out how.

i messed up on the biggest buck i have ever seen in the black hills of south dakota. didnt have the bolt closed on my rifle.

i passed up some decent bucks while i was trophy hunting around home and ended up just filling my tag with a 3x3 the night before the snow storm.

hey, riverrat

you know who i am. could you possibly hook me up with some landowners in southern kansas or northern oklahoma for rifle hunting. i have been looking real long and hard at kansas for a couple years. just a thought. good luck to the rest of you still hunting. post rut is a great time to rattle antlers.

It's mostly the "toughness" combined with the "oiliness" that I didn't really like, but not the taste that I objected to. It was "okay" but nothing that I would actively pursue. I have a nice clay baking roaster from Pampered Chef. Is that the type of pot you are talking about? What temp? How long? Do you season it with anything special? May I assume you cook it with the skin intact? I have eaten a few mallards, a teal (if I remember correctly), and a small duck from Louisiana that I can't recall the name of. I would love to have a good way to cook it, as DH loves to hunt, but doesn't kill what he won't eat. I personally love to eat wild game for its high quality as opposed to what you can buy at the grocer.
    Oh yes, my pampered chef roaster is one of my favorites. I also have a smaller pot for smaller things, like one duck, but the pampered chef will work fine.

The toughness we can fix, the oiliness maybe not, but since the flavor didn't offend you we are in business. Wild game is very easy to dry out. The oiliness is going to help us with this. Roast it covered. Add something to the roaster designed to add moister, like an apple, a can of beer, a cup of water. Many folks like a little sweet added to duck so apple juice would be a good choice. I usually add a cup or so of water. Temp: 225 to 275, me, usually 225 . As for time, that depends a lot on the size of the duck but a mallard can go 4 hours easy and often times more. You should give yourself a experimental day and start one at 1:00 PM for an undetermined dinner time. Leave it alone for 4 hours and then every half hour stick it with a fork. You should be able to tear it with a fork. Remember, we're playing at the edge of drying it out so we can ruin it by leaving it too long and by opening it up too many times. Yes, leave the skin on. I have many friends that breast the geese they shoot because plucking a bird is a lot of work. All of them think goose is tough and I know for a fact they are missing out on the real essence. (most make burritos out of their goose???) I shoot the small geese, pluck them, and don't dwell on the fact that my shotgunning sucks because I don't need that many anyway.

My cousins are here in the office and I asked them for suggestions. One pointed out what I usually suggest to anyone that is cooking game for the first time. All day long in a crock pot. Works great, almost foolproof. I eat my venison medium rare but don't usually introduce it to folks that have never had venison that way. I crock it the first time.

As for spicing. You can't go wrong with the basics like a little salt (very little, remember game drys out easily), cracked pepper, a celery stick, carrot, and onion. I generally just use pepper. As for spices, a little sage or thyme is good on game, i like these. Some like rosemary or tarragon but I like these better on milder meats.

So, leave the skin on, cook it slow in a moist environment for a long time, don't let it dry out. Fair dinkum! And the bones/skin/etc that those folks that breast the bird throw out is the secret to the soup.

I just read it over before hitting submit and I forgot the oiliness. Putting the bird on a rack in the roaster and even the crock pot is about all we can do for this.

BB: <foul/fowl>
    LOL! Oops I didn't even pay attention...
    JohnF INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
    Come on BB... show us the pictures....
    A project for when my son comes up for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by John F View Post
    (most make burritos out of their goose???)
    Now THAT'S a new one on me. Never heard of goose burritos

Thanks for the duck cooking tips. Now I can suggest a new mission to DH. He'll love it.

Speaking of cooking venison, if you haven't already tried it this way, you should, just for grins and variety. I call it venison mignon. Take a backstrap and cut it across the grain in medallions 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick. Take three of them for each "steak", stand them on end next to each other, wrap with a piece of bacon, and use long toothpick-type sticks to hold them together. They should be the approximate size of a beef tenderloin filet. I have a cast iron stove top griddle that I use to cook steaks and it works great over a super high flame. Sprinkle with a small amt of kosher salt, and as much cracked black pepper as you like (I go kind of heavy on the pepper). I cook them about 4-5 minutes on each side, and they are medium rare to medium. You can also broil them, but it's faster (and I think better as far as taste and texture goes) to grill them.

Well, it was Black Hog Down at about 7:30 pm last night. She's now in the freezer. Does anyone here know how to make bacon from scratch?

Well, it was Black Hog Down at about 7:30 pm last night. She's now in the freezer. Does anyone here know how to make bacon from scratch?
    I've tried it once and it ended up so salty that you couldn't eat it.

I got my info from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. Don't know what I messed up and haven't had a chance to try again.
    JohnF INTP

Thanks for the link. Do you think the excessive saltiness was a mistake on your part, or a bad recipe? I found a link a couple of weeks ago to a guy's blog and he describes his bacon making experience, but there were some details left out that I need. I'm sure I could find some more stuff on the net, but was hoping someone with whom I converse has experience they don't mind sharing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast