Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How's your hunting season?

Just wondering how our deer hunters are doing this year. It's been really warm in this area for this time of year, and with all the rain we had in summer, and an apparently abundant food supply for wildlife, the deer this year are really big. A friend of ours who is a taxidermist said that he is seeing huge deer with huge racks coming into his place of business. DH hunts for meat, and not heads, but the does and young spikes are pretty healthy looking this year too. Everyone having a good season?

here in kansas hunting has been good for those using automobiles as for the bow hunters they are seeing a few but I havent heard of anyone having much luck firearms doesnt start until the 5th of dec.

I've seen 6 bucks and probably about 10 does in the last 3 times out while out bowhunting. Other bucks I've heard thrashing trees and or grunting back at me but won't come out of the thickets.

I've seen three 8-pt bucks, a 6pt, a 4pt, and a spike.

Bucks were chasing does last weekend but the does weren't quite ready. I expect by this weekend things will be hot and heavy.

I won't shoot a buck unless its bigger than the 8-pt I shot last year.

I wanna let them grow up!
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Wow, riverrat, does your deer season start late, or is it a short season, or both? Ours runs from the beginning of Nov to the end of Dec, and bow season is the month of Oct.

Dan- DH hasn't seen any chasing as of yet. We had a cool front come in last night and are hoping that gets them moving, but it's supposed to get back up into the 70's and 80's in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    Wow, riverrat, does your deer season start late, or is it a short season, or both? Ours runs from the beginning of Nov to the end of Dec, and bow season is the month of Oct.
    firearms deer in kansas opens the first wednesday in dec and runs a week and half to the second sunday following the first wednesday. witht he possiblility of shooting 4 deer in some units 1 buck and 3 antlerless for the first season. second season in only some units runs from jan 1 for 2 weeks for antlerless only

bow season runs about 3 months

Hunting is great in MO . All I go for are dry does and misshapen bucks . Need to improve the geneticks in the area .

Default hunting

Same ole same ole , tons of deer , turkey **** few rabbits. It is why I went and got a young cur/plott cross to train on squirrels. Less and less rabbits every year

One 8 pt in the freezer so far. I think the warmer weather has delayed the rut, but it should be kicking in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    firearms deer in kansas opens the first wednesday in dec and runs a week and half to the second sunday following the first wednesday. witht he possiblility of shooting 4 deer in some units 1 buck and 3 antlerless for the first season. second season in only some units runs from jan 1 for 2 weeks for antlerless only

bow season runs about 3 months
    Hey, Rat. Guess you don't hunt much or you are going a little late.

Rifle season starts Nov 28th and runs for eleven glorious days. Our primary tag is for one either antlered or non-antler. One extra game tag is available in your unit, (doe only), and one more game tag for specific units a few hours away.

After the rifle season is over on Dec. 9th we return to archery until Jan. 1 when we have a five day antlerless only season.

If you go by your dates, don't get caught.

I don't have time to archery hunt, but I have gotten some nice pictures at my feeder of a nice ten point. Last Sunday evening I was watching five does, one eight point, and one six point frolicking on my clover field.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

My elk season is the first week in December.

So I guess rifle season is so short in Kansas because the landscape is so open???
    I suppose without much cover for the deer, gun season could wipe out the population fairly easily???

I tasted some elk for the first time about a week ago. Now, I am threatening to send DH to Colorado on a yearly elk hunt. I suspect he won't put up much of an argument Elk is absolutely wonderful.

we have some of the best deer hunting there is we also have a state that manages the deer herd to insure that it stays this way there is a lot of factors that determine the season adn I am sure openess of the land plays into it

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Hey, Rat. Guess you don't hunt much or you are going a little late.

Rifle season starts Nov 28th and runs for eleven glorious days. Our primary tag is for one either antlered or non-antler. One extra game tag is available in your unit, (doe only), and one more game tag for specific units a few hours away.

After the rifle season is over on Dec. 9th we return to archery until Jan. 1 when we have a five day antlerless only season.

If you go by your dates, don't get caught.

I don't have time to archery hunt, but I have gotten some nice pictures at my feeder of a nice ten point. Last Sunday evening I was watching five does, one eight point, and one six point frolicking on my clover field.

Get to do quite a bit of hunting thanks for the heads up I was going by what one of the land owners I keep bees on told me I guess I better go get my tags

Smile Wis

We start tomorrow morning (Nov.17) and run for nine days. Need to shoot an anterless deer to qualify a buck use tag. Saw an all white doe two weeks ago on the way to work. Did not see the eyes so not sure if she was a true albino. Either way I'm looking forward to tomorrow. Good luck to all!!

Ours opens tomorrow, so i'll let you know more tomorrow night, might even get some good pics. Seen alot of doe, but not alot of bucks.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Big Grin

Shoot a feral/wild cat,......... for me.............. SAVE A BIRD............thanks.

1 big doe, no pics.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

SC Kentucky: My first season here and hunting on my newly purchased farm. Not used to stalk hunting, ESPECIALLY on nearly vertical terrain. I'm learning... and teaching...
    So far, I've learned a little bit about waiting that extra 5 minutes past when you want to move.
    And, so far, I've taught 4 deer what I look like, what I smell like, and where I sat.
    The learning curve goes to the deer!
    Well, tomorrow, I'm back at it.
    WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

I'm doing good this year. So far I've managed to avoid being shot by other hunters or stomped to death by an irate moose or buck. I've also avoided hitting any number of kamikaze critters with my car despite they're best efforts. I haven't managed to bag a deer yet, but by my count I'm ahead- it's Animals 0, George 15
    Dulcius ex asperis

Archery season lasts six weeks in Pa. On October 10 I only was able to hunt approximately ten minutes.
    I walked up to my deer stand (less than 300 yards away) and used a whisk broom to sweep the leaves off the carpeted floor.
    Sat down in my resin chair and put my crossbow on my lap, looked and there came a buck, walked up to closer than twenty yards, eight points and it tastes good.
    Shortest deer hunt in my life.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast