Default too bright traffic lights and headlights?

I've noticed over the past few years that new traffic lights are way brighter. I can see wanting the red light to be really bright but why the green? There a few traffic light on dimly lit roads around here. When the lights are green they are so bright that you literally can't see the unlit road beyond them. The other thing is the brighter headlights on the new cars. What good does it do to let the driver see better if it blinds the oncoming traffic? I have poor night vision, so amybe it's just my eyes. What do you all think?

As far as headlights go yes, they are brighter, and if the vehicle is higher, they're not aimed properly for those lower on the road. I drive a two-wheel Ranger, it's not the highest pickup out there, and when those behemouths come up behind me with both sets of lights on they damned near blind me, nevermind when they're coming at me. Then you've got those blue lights that are so bright - and to finish you've got idiots who run with fog lights on no matter what. And yes, it does have to do with getting older. I'm beginning to dislike driving at night on unfamiliar roads, and I'm not that old yet!
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

Yeah - lights are brighter on many vehicles. I do notice that some of the newer automobiles have better masking of low beams, so that if someone following you is at the same height as your vehicle, if they keep at the correct following distance, their beams don't hit your vehicle with full intensity.

And, why it that some drivers have to have their high beams on all of the time, and either don't react quickly to turn them down or leave them on as they pass? I use high beams on little-traveled country roads - I'm always breaking for deer - but some folks have high beams enabled on the interstates, and in town...!

I also have the opposite ---> right after dusk, when visibility is at the lowest, I'll be coming around a bend or over a hill, hitting 50-55mph, and BAM -- slam on the brakes for an Amish buggy going 7mph. They have battery or gas lights, which have the wattage of a penlight...

MM

The new green and blue ones are blinding. The new cars also seem to have fog lights that no one ever turns off so even on dim there are four headlights coming at you. I find them frustrating and dangerous. I think they both the overly bright lights (at least for the dims) and the two extra headlights (fog lamps) should considered the same as refusing to dim your lights and should result in a stiff fine.

The traffic lights, I think are brighter, because they are converting them to LED clusters. I think the idea is that many of them can burn out before the light has to be changed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The LED's last ions longer than any other light. They are brighter in the traffic lights but I tend to like them better. I can also appreciate one of you mentioning bad night vision! I can relate to that.

LED clusters have been available for cars bulb replacements for quite a while now. They are a little pricey but you'll likely never need to replace one of them ever. Some can be bought for home use but they are at lower light levels just yet. There is some new technology on the way that was hit on at MIT I believe not to long ago. It will be a true white light LED, up until now the only color has been red. The new white will allow for much brighter lighting.

Amazing how the donations were paid to fund the school and yet the professor and one student that stumbled onto the new crystal type are going to be the folks owning the patent and reaping the rewards. Only in America!

Anyhow, around here most folks anymore tend to leave their lights on bright at night and refuse to dim them. Goes along with the general attitude way to may folks seem to have these days. Complete absence of respect! And unfortunately stupidity along with ignorance seem to follow that.

The new halogen headlights are miserable. As much as i had government interference in life, this is a situtation where they should mandate the brightness of the bulbs. That is what they did way back when Henry came out with the Model T.

Default led clustershave a drawback

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The traffic lights, I think are brighter, because they are converting them to LED clusters. I think the idea is that many of them can burn out before the light has to be changed.
    The Car Talk puzzler a couple of weeks ago was on the led traffic lights. They mentioned that they are brighter, and many bulbs can burn out without a problem. The puzzler question was what is the drawback? The answer is, here in the northeast or other areas where it's cold and snowy, the old incandescent bulbs produced enough heat to melt any snow that blew on the lenses. The new led's don't produce the heat and snow can cover the lens. Maybe they're still bright enough to shine through the coating of snow.

Given they are dimmed and they are aimed correctly, they shouldn't cause anyone trouble.

That used to be something garages checked often on cars. I can't remember the last time one asked to check. I check my own often if it looks to be to far left when on the low beam.

Here in Massachusetts we have mandatory yearly inspections, and I know one of the criteria are the headlights, that they work, and that they're aimed properly. I don't think they check the latter at all anymore.
    - Ann, a Gardening Beek

...at one point, there was discussion of polarizing headlights and windshields at right angles to each other. it seems like a good idea to me, but it never happened.

http://polarization.com/land/land.html

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    There is some new technology on the way that was hit on at MIT I believe not to long ago. It will be a true white light LED, up until now the only color has been red. The new white will allow for much brighter lighting.
    Yellow, green and infra-red LEDs have been around since the outset of LED technology, almost. The high-intensity whites have been on the market for some time. I've got several flashlights, tools and yard lights that have them.
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

Sorry I am partially wrong. I think if you look around a little you'll find that todays white leds are achieved by the use of several colors to give the effective white. The newer man made crystal found requires no such manipulation, resulting in no light loss. At the time, they speculated it would be five years or more before it would hit the market. I've not bothered to keep up with it.

Years ago I interviewed with a company that made tail lights for trucks. They were switching to LEDs, and one big reason was safety: The LED lights turn "on" faster when you hit the brakes, and sometimes that millisecond of extra time the guy behind has to react is enough.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

i like brighter stop lights because the older ones are hard to see when its foggy.

I've noticed that Motorcycle lights are either brighter or they have them flashing hi/low. It bugs the h out of me, especially when sitting at a light. I understand that bikers complain about not being seen by auto drivers, but the accidents that I hear of are usually motorcycles that run into autos.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."