Default Watched Queen return

I was checking some nucs this afternoon with my son when he said "look daddy a queen" Sure enough there was a queen sitting on the nuc beside us. You could clearly see mating sign coming from the queen, I told him to be still and just a few min. later she took flight made a couple circles around us went right into the nuc we had open it was very cool. She had a very distinctive buzz, not as loud as a drone but, louder than worker.

Default Re: Watched Queen return

Cool!

Was the nuc she went into the one that you expect that she emerged from?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Watched Queen return

Yes, I was there to introduce a mated queen to the nuc. I made up a bunch of queen cells and nucs two of the cells did not hatch, but, I got lucky and found a recently swarmed hive with virgins hatching out. So I caught two of them and dropped them in the two nucs where the cells did not hatch. That was about two and a half weeks ago so I was probably just a little premature on adding the mated queen but, all the brood had hatched and the other two virgins from the swarm hive had already mated. So all is well that ends well. I had 20 nucs in this yard and got 100% success 4miles down the road I had 8 nucs only 4 of those mated.