Default Check Mite + on SBB and other musings

Reading the directions here it says to staple two halves of a strip to the bottom of a Corregated piece and place it on the bottom board. I am wondering if the Beatles can go through this screen mesh on this Screen Bottom board and has anyone had any luck placing the Check Mite strip set up between the screen and the Bottom boards slip in solid board? Or does this take it too far out of the roaming territory of these little buggers?

Or any other arrangements that people have had success with would be appreciated.

My thought was to prepare the strips (stapled) onto this Plastic Corregated (fake cardboard) stuff and then affix (staple again) that whole thing to a thin Paint stirring stick/strip and slide that in so as to be easy to place it and then remove it in 45 days. I figure they will probably stick it down some, but at least I won't have to lift the entire hive body off to place and remove it. Any thoughts on that hair brained scheme?

On another related subject....

I am also storing some Supers with built comb in them over the winter that I just took off. In these, since I do make a lot of Comb Honey and do mostly crush and strain, I want to keep them free of the Check Mite but I am concerned of some beetle activity that might occur over the winter in the storage shed. Even though I had none last year doing this I see a few more Beetles this year so I am going to do something just to be sure, since the Bees are not there to protect it. So my thought here was to place a couple of Dr. Hood's Traps in there. Which I did today. I placed one in the bottom of each stack of supers. 4 supers deep on a drip board and on old Hive lid over that. Put them in the bottom #1 position. Am also thinking about doubling that. One in the top #10 position. Any thoughts on this. If we have mild winter, even though the shed is not heated, we might have some latent activity in there messing up some of my comb. And even though they cannot reproduce on these wood floors, they could mess up some of my comb and I would like to be sure to rid the supers of any activity before I replace them on the Hives next spring. There is some Comb and some comb starters in there. Any thoughts on this other Hair brained scheme?
    Last edited by cphilip; 10-27-2007 at 02:19 PM.

If your bait comb supers have pollen, the beetles will find them. If no pollen, which IMHO you should not have, then beetles will not be a problem. Hood traps will work as I've done this same thing. Cider vinegar and/or red wine vinegar works good for an attranctant.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

And beetles have and can move through a 1/8th" wire screen. But I think if you simply placed the cardboard over a SBB, I doubt it would have the affect you are looking for. The beetles are drawn to the dark regions. The cardboard would work better on a solid bottom board.

Grant
    Jackson, MO

Nope. No Pollen. Just some comb and some honey. And I was planning on putting the bottom boards slide in bottom on. But I normally leave the SBB in place in the winter and just slide in the plastic tray to block up board.

However... after sleeping on it... I am inclined to not treat at all, as far as the Check Mite that is. For one thing, after some thought on it, I realize the primary area I was seeing a good deal of Beetles in was the top super when I took them off. You see in order to remove them for the winter, I sat them to the side of the hive, on a Triangle escape placed on a solid bottom board for the rest of the day and when I peeked in there later in the day, I saw them all over the top Frames with the few bee's in there attacking them. Last year I saw maybe 4-5 doing this. This time I saw perhaps 20-25 Beetles up there. The few bees left in there were attacking them. I let them continue and went back at dark and picked up the Supers. They were all gone (or at least not obvious) by then. Both Bees and Beetles.

Normally (at least the last two years) what I do is use Bee Quick for my Summer robbing and (if I get that early spell of cool nights) I take a bottom board and cover over there and set the Supers on that next to the hive and let them abscound that way back to the hive. Works well.

And thinking back I remember that there were few bees in that top super when I sat them off this time (of the two supers I had on each hive). There were more bee's in the bottom one of the two supers, but not that many. Perhaps a hundred or so in the bottom of the two and maybe half that many in the top one. Much comb and honey in the bottom Super but just Comb in the top one. All the main cluster of Bees was in the Hive body I do recall when I removed them. This followed some cool nights and it was still coolish that late morning when I worked them. These were the first cool nights of the entire late Summer. I worked them perhaps around 11:00 am that day. So most of the population was out flying or still in the bottom (mostly in the hive body's).

Now... thinking back to this years conditions (both have been drought years), I realize I probably put too many Supers on in early July this time. I probably should have just put one on (in hind sight). However, last year, I put two on and had good results. But this year, shortly after harvesting in July, we had that spell of super hot weather and the dirth came on about that time too. We had like two weeks of 100 degree or over days in August. We did not have that last year. I had put two Supers back on last year but the conditions, even though extremely dry, were different after that. I just now realized there was a difference between the two and it probably contributed to the observation. I had some bearding (both years) that I was trying to give them extra room to help cool the hive. However I think I might have over done it this year as it turns out. I did not anticipate that super hot spell. No way I could have. Oddly enough, there was a slight continuous flow all through that late summer last year. This year it did not seem to mimic last year in that way as it turned out.

So I believe what happened was that the top Super was lightly guarded and the Beetles were able to find sanctuary up there. At least this is my current thought on it.

So I think what I am going to do now is just leave the Hive body's alone and let the Bee's take care of that as I believe the numbers are sufficient to do so. And I am going to continue to bait the stored Supers with the Hood traps to remove as many of them that might have escaped and are taking refuge in there now. I think this may be the best solution. I really do not want to introduce anything if I don't see any real benefit. And the chances of success appear questionable now. But, what I will probably do next spring is introduce the Hood Traps to the hive when I place supers on and put them in the top super. I have been doing nothing there so far.

What is your thoughts on my reasoning here?

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by cphilip; 10-28-2007 at 10:30 AM.

I have two thoughts at this juncture. First, with cool weather, stores supers are less threatened by SHB. You may not have to do anything.

Second, the presence of beetles is not necessarily a problem. Some hives handle them better than others. You may be okay unless something stresses the hive, but again, things are cooling off real well. SHB egg laying should slow down, even though the beetles will live in the cluster over the winter.

Grant
    Jackson, MO

Here's my 2cents worth on checkmite and shb.

I tried the method you described on solid bottom boards for several years. The paint stirrers worked great to place the checkmite where I wanted it on the bottom boards, and easy removal. Thats the good news, the bad news, I think I killed more shb with my hive tool than the checkmite did. It never seemed to make a dent in the shb population. So I quit using checkmite. The best thing I have found to control adult shb is the west shb trap.

Your empty supers are probably in more danger from wax moths than the shb. Generally if empty supers are not on a hive, the shb will leave them alone as long as they don't have both pollen, and honey.

Also this time of year the shb are not going to be as bad, the temps and humidity are dropping down low enough that they are going to have a more difficult time breeding.

Have you fella's any suggestions on storage for Moth prevention?