Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Since this thread looks like it may become one of the longest threads in beesource history...interesting question - hey Barry what is the longest thread?

Anyway, how about someone explaining this drifting theory again. The more I think about it the more it makes no since whatsoever.

If the higher mite loads are a result from drifting then:
    Why are the LC bees going to the SC colonies? Why doesn't the SC bees drift back to the LC colonies? Why would the SC colonies (with higher bee populations) allow so much drifting?

If the LC bees are drifting to the SC colonies then does this mean the higher bee populations in the SC colonies is a result of the drifting and not the increased number of cells per frame?

If the drifting is the result of the increased bee population in the SC colonies and increased mite loads...Then would that mean if there was no drifting the mite levels would be the same in both SC and LC colonies?

If "mite exchange" is occurring while the bees are out foraging why are the mites attracted to the SC bees? Are the SC bees slower? Smell better? Taste better?

I do not believe that drifting was a factor that resulted in the increased number of mites or bees in the SC colonies.

BB
    good questions Bill, but didn't you read the other post where MB said statistically the mite counts were the same, SC really didn't have more mites than LC..... but you make me think about the drifting and people using it as a issue to say that how the mites even out in a single yard!!!! on the drifting and mites being even or not I cant say, never done a mite count but this is some good reading
    Last edited by TwT; 11-14-2007 at 04:45 AM.
    Ted

Hi Bill!

Be sure and check out the conversation on "mites leveling out in yards" here if you have some time to kill. My thoughts on it are clearly no way, no how. There is some bantering in that thread though that puts some people off. But so it is Beesource.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214405

Hi again Bill!

Looks like the current thread "Your Holy Book" in the tailgater section has gotten us beat by about >30 pages. I've heard some say small cell is a close second to religion in other ways too.

>hey Barry what is the longest thread?

I think it's the orginal one on PermaComb. My old link to it no longer works since the board was updated. But it was 20 some pages.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Since this thread looks like it may become one of the longest threads in beesource history...interesting question - hey Barry what is the longest thread?
    That would be the "Your Holy Book" thread (629 posts) started by sqkcrk
    It's all Mark's fault! The "Permacomb" thread totaled 367 posts. But I'll bet with a little effort, we could get this one over 650.

Anyway, how about someone explaining this drifting theory again.
    That would leave me out.

- Barry

Quote Originally Posted by TwT View Post
    good questions Bill, but didn't you read the other post where MB said statistically the mite counts were the same, SC really didn't have more mites than LC.....
    I don't claim to speak for Michael, but I believe the point he was making, and one I want to make, is that even if the SC hives had more mites than the LC hives, the difference wasn't enough to make an issue over it. I think the bigger issue, the elephant if you will, is that the SC hives had anywhere near the amount of mites that the LC hives had. That's the significant number! Yet for those of us who have been down this road, it really isn't surprising and nothing to get worked up about. Now, if these number continue to hold after another year or two, THEN even I will be scratchin' my head. But even then, what I'll be looking for is to see if both sets of hives are surviving well with these mite loads. Lots to look at yet. I'm very glad that we will get to see these hives play out over time.

- Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That would be the "Your Holy Book" thread (629 posts) started by sqkcrk
    It's all Mark's fault! The "Permacomb" thread totaled 367 posts. But I'll bet with a little effort, we could get this one over 650.

- Barry
    Not quite fair. You, Barry, closed the PC thread after fifteen pages. It would have gone further, not the Holy Book epic, but there were many more threads following it's closure.

Planting for Bees is another long winded thread, and I think a good topic for it's own forum.

As far as drifting goes, it does make a little sense to me. I have seen bees from other colonies let into another hive. I liken it to guests that come over at suppertime. When they bring a dish of food with them, you are happier to see them than if they don't.

I'm sure that drifting happens all the time, but does it make a statistical difference in the number of mites transferring to different hives? I wouldn't step on that limb. it's too thin.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Oh, and congratulations to Barry!

You have made more posts this year than the total posts in the previous eight years combined! Thanks for sharing!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Not quite fair. You, Barry, closed the PC thread after fifteen pages. It would have gone further, not the Holy Book epic, but there were many more threads following it's closure.
    I see I did. I did that when we were on the old board. With the move to this database board, I don't have a problem reopening it. The search function now is far superior.

- Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    You have made more posts this year than the total posts in the previous eight years combined!
    Oh oh, I'm getting sucked back in! Must resist, must resist.

Hey Barry, you could bring "Planting for Bees" over to the Alternative Pollinators section. Planting for bees is an important issue for alternative pollinators too and talking about honey bees is certainly appropriate when your talking about something that benefits all bees.

yea, I'm off the small cell topic, but how do you think threads get so long anyway.

Default What size is "Small Cell"

Ok, I scanned through all 28 pages of this thread and found nothing that describes the size of SC or LC (sorry, new beek question). The different catalogues suggest 3 or 4 different size cells (including drone). Pierco lit suggest their cells are small, but gives no size.

Just Wondering.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael, the list helps. What is considered the cell size for "small". Looks like a pretty linear progression through the different foundations.

4.9mm or smaller is what people mean when they say small cell.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314