Thread: Trailer Hitches

Default Trailer Hitches

I have a factory installed what I call a “Reese Hitch” on my 05 Explorer. That may not be the name brand but it is what most people call it. Here is the problem when I pull my trailer and stop or go over a bump there is a lot of up and down play in the hitch and receiver. It sounds as if it is coming apart.

I have looked for some sort of sleeve to insert inside of the receiver to tighten it but no luck. Everything is tight except where the hitch is slid into the receiver that is where all the play is. I have tried different hitches in the receiver but they all have excess play. Anybody got any suggestions other than replacing the whole thing?
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.

Take it to a trailer outlet and ask them, must be a wrong sized part somewhere.

hey i have the same thing with all the hitches i have. they all have play in that area but the reese seems to have the most play of the three receivers that i have. have you tried puting a reese hitch in the reese receiver? some time that makes a diferance like if i put a reese hitch in my curtis receiver i have more play. but the play really doesnt matter just noisy lol.
    regards Nick

My little secret is to weld a dime size puddle on the top and either side of the insert. I then take a grinder and keep trying until it just barely fits.

Quote Originally Posted by b_z_genius View Post
    My little secret is to weld a dime size puddle on the top and either side of the insert. I then take a grinder and keep trying until it just barely fits.
    this works good I have done the same thing myself I might add make sure there is a little play between the 2. if you leave the reciever in the hitch for an extended period of time road grit dirt and rust will seize the reciever into the hitch and make it tough to get out if you make them fit to tight

Quote Originally Posted by b_z_genius View Post
    That sounds like a good and inexpensive cure I will try that! Thanks!
    An empty wagon rattles the loudest.