Thread: EFB and Tylan

Default EFB and Tylan

Does anybody out there know if Tylan is effective against EFB? Tylan is recommended for AFB only, as far as I know. Is this because it has not been tested against EFB or because it is not effective towards this particular bacteria? It seems intuitively unlikely that it would not be effective against both forms of foul brood.

I have been having an ongoing debate about this with another beek, so I thought I would consult with you all.
    Last edited by JBJ; 10-08-2007 at 11:50 AM. Reason: punctuation
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

The most effective antibiotic against EFB is Streptomycin. But it's not approved...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the input guys. The reason this debate came up was one of his yards had some symptoms of both bacteria. He was convinced that he needed to use both terrra and Tylan, and my position was that Tylan would work for both.

I suggested burning infected comes and following the label instructions on Tylan and he would be in good shape after installing some hygienic survivor stock. Applying both antibiotics seemed like overkill to me.
    Last edited by JBJ; 10-07-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

A lot of commercial guys switched to Tylan, to keep both AFB, and EFB in check. However they are now seeing a lot of EFB. Some have switched back to Oxy.

I would second that, we had gone away from Terramycin for a couple of years and this past spring saw some EFB. Treated with Terramycin again and haven't seen any recurrence yet. The plan now is to go with Tylan in the fall and Terr. in the spring.

We use tylan in fall, terra in spring and burn anything with AFB. Haven't seen much EFB.

I really appreciate the feedback guys. I run our local bee association, and it does appear that we are getting more reports of EFB this year.

Perhaps Tylan is not effective on EFB?