Default Small Hive Beetle progress

my wife and I had our 3rd child last month. Due to an extended stay in the hospital I had a hive that i suspected was in trouble go queenless. Laying workers developed which I was able to shake out when I got back and successfully introduce a caged queen. Last weekend I noticed a bunch of gunk on the bottom board and then I noticed the SHB larva. What a mess. I went through every frame and pulled the ones that had larva crawling through them. Ended up taking this hive all the way down to a single deep from two deeps/super. The bees are crammed in there but it appears they are getting control over the beetles. I am hoping this hive makes it, if so I plan on placing one of my supers on top and let them overwinter in a deep plus medium super full of capped honey. The good news was the new queen was laying really good.It was a shame to have to pull some brood but I really think they needed help defending a small space and most looked doomed with worms crawling through them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and what their outcomes were?
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

In Mississippi it is a serious problem. Go to beek meeting and that is the main topic of conversation. If you have a hive that gets weak and you are not on top of it, the beetles will take it over.
    Fannbee

fannbee,

what types of treatment/process are you all using to keep shb under control?
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

Best "treatment" for SHB is bees, bees, bees. SHB take over when the bees can no longer cover all the comb. I use a ground drench in front of my hives, I think it helps a lot, althought I know a lot of beek disagree. I try to peek into my brood chambers every week, you can usually see a problem before it is to late. I also use SHB/fgmo traps(mostly old CD cases), they kill a lot of beetles. Good Luck