Hybrid View

Default have you seen this before??

I have 7 nuc's that have queens in them, I raised these queens 2 months ago, we have been in a drought for months and the queens were going goo but all hives shut down, goldenrod just started blooming and now we are getting some rain, all big hives raising brood like crazy and I have open feeders out and top feeders on the nuc's and some of the big hive's for about 1-2 weeks now, the nucs queens aren't laying yet, the bee's are filling the brood cells with syrup and the workers bring in pollenand all nuc's have 2-3 frames of drawn comb still empty in the nuc's, how long yaw think it will take the queens to start laying again, anyone seen this before, I am going to give them another week and if they aren't laying I am re queening these nucs, I could understand if it was one but not all 7. all opinions welcomed......
    Last edited by TwT; 10-04-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    Ted

Wheter shut down is due to drought or having been banked could produce similar delays. I wonder if banked queens frequently show the same problem/delay in starting to lay?

New beekeeper just geting started in queen rearing process.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

well I forgot to add this up top but a few weeks ago I check these nuc's and all were empty or almost empty of stores so I started feeding them and thats what I left out, might be the reason they are slow at starting laying again....
    Ted

sounds like they stopped laying due to lack of resources and if the nucs were starved down to nothing then it may take the queen a while to start laying again. can you still spot a queen in all the nucs? may we assume that at one time you did witness that the queens were laying?

sure they were laying good, just weather been so dry and this years dearth ran about 1 1/2 months longer than normal, yes I have seen all queens in every hive 3 times since started feeding, seen all today, I am thinking it will just take a little while long before they get going again, just wanted to see if anyone has seen this and is that what I am expecting
    Ted

perhaps I should have prefaced my prior remark with... been there, seen that.

not this year, but the the two prior years were extremely dry here. not only would this happen to nucs but also to full sized hives. if it was me I would continue to feed... perhaps I should suggest that a dribble is better that a pour in regards to maintaining a certain amount of brood rearing. although some times at the front side a pour is good until they have enough rations to have some cushion or insurance from a repetition of the same thing happening...

best to ya'..