Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default From Dr. Rodriguez

FGMO/THYMOL: SCIENTIFIC, ECONOMIC, EFFECTIVE AND SAFE

“They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” 2Timothy 4:4

I feel compelled to start this FGMO/thymol follow-up with heart felt thanks to Joe Graham, editor American Bee Journal and Barry Birky, Beesource.com, for their continued excellence in support of my work with FGMO. Their support has been responsible for distribution of the FGMO concept to beekeepers worldwide and the public in general regardless of continued criticism from persons who chose to detract from the FGMO concept without due reason or cause.
    While attending one of my college literature courses our teacher told us that there always was a story behind each story. Ever since, every time that I start to write, I have pondered many times about the truth of her simple statement. In previous occasions, I may have touched upon that format in a small way but never really telling a story to address the subject on hand. I am tempted to use the format today because I fear that I may have not told my story well enough.
    It has been alleged that my research with honeybees is not acceptable because I lack “scientific qualifications” and perhaps some have doubts about my beekeeping qualifications as well. I would like to list some of my qualifications (in both fields) briefly, as a manner of justifying my “story behind a story.”
    My ancestors had been in beekeeping for generations and apparently my father thought that the family tradition should continue when at the ripe age of nine years, gave me three of his choice bee colonies, an unthinkable deed in 1938. I became the envy of my peers for many miles around not only because such a gift represented “wealth” at the time but because I went on to add more colonies and soon was making a good bit of money from them, fact that my father used readily to brag about his expectations about the future of his only son. His guidance and The Lord’s inspiration laid the foundation to pay for part of my college tuition and has given me many hours of happiness during the past seventy years. I did not disappoint my father in beekeeping nor in his hopes for my future education. I chose science as my major life ambition as early as in elementary school when I organized and led other school children in agriculture-related activities as Future Farmers of America and 4-H Clubs, giving me a taste for utilization of sound principles in agriculture and animal husbandry leading to my early dreams of becoming a veterinary doctor.
    My education as a veterinary doctor required sixteen semesters of study averaging about eighty five percent in scientific courses and the rest in literature and art. I had little desire to spend time in courses that took my attention away from obtaining the best and most solid education in my chosen career. After completion of my veterinary education I joined the United States Department of Agriculture in disease eradication, epidemiology and food sanitation programs attaining a GS-13 grade. I performed similar activities for the United States Army attaining the rank of Colonel. Needless to say, to obtain those two classifications, I was required to continue attending many courses of study at government training centers and spend hours on end on self-study courses leading to very solid knowledge of subject matter as demonstrated by ratings given to me by my superiors. I also dedicated several years in private practice and one year working with a research team at the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia, Pa, a period that “planted the first seeds” of scientific research studies in my brain.
    One might think that a person with as many qualifications as described above would seek employment at institutions with research facilities. Instead, because of my age and two service connected disabilities, after completion of my civil service and military careers, I decided to apply my beekeeping and scientific knowledge to the study of the illnesses of honey bees, primarily, honey bee parasites. Hence the beginning of my food grade mineral oil and thymol trials for the treatment of honeybee mites, Varroa and tracheal mites. I opted for independent work that would not require overtaxing my physical capabilities. Over the years I have dedicated a considerable portion of my retirement pay to my research, and thank The Lord, I have succeeded in performing responsible, effective scientific research as demonstrated by work performed with other participating beekeepers, e. g. FGMO/THYMOL APPLICATION IMPROVED. Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez and C. E. Harris, published in American Bee Journal, as well as many other well documented field trials published by ABJ and similar trade literature in Europe, Asia and South America, and posted on the Beesource.com forum. I have spent the last fourteen years testing and fine-tuning a method of treatment of honey bee parasites in order that beekeepers around the world may have a means of protecting their honey bees and their business and at the same time providing wholesome honey bee products to humanity until such date and time when institutionalized research find other devices that beekeepers may use for this purpose. It is of outmost importance to consider that honey and wax samples taken from colonies treated according to my protocol have been found to contain no residues of FGMO or thymol when analyzed with gas chromatography methods by specialized laboratories in Europe and in the United States.
    Perhaps, because my work has not been performed at formal institutions, there is a
    tendency to minimize the value of FGMO/thymol by some who use descriptive terminology as “kitchen chemistry.” In my case, as I have stated earlier in some of my writings, my lab work has been performed in my garage. It may help them to remember that some very successful businesses rose in garages, e.g. Apple Computers, Wal-Mart. Contrary to sophisticated honey bee research laboratories funded with million-dollar-budgets, my “kitchen chemistry” (garage) research has yielded a safe, non-toxic, non-contaminating and cost-effective procedure for successful treatment of Varroa and tracheal mites
    FGMO/thymol detractors allege that many calamities may arise out of the use of FGMO/thymol claiming that both FGMO and thymol have side effects. Hello. Wake up call. If that were the case, then the two commercial applications for mite treatment that are currently approved for use in the United States would not have been approved. Add to that, cosmetics. It would be interesting to find out the billions of dollars that have been spent on baby oil to be applied to something as delicate as the skin of babies and/or cosmetics for ladies faces.
    Most if not all, medications have side effects, even aspirin. Does that mean that we are not to take any medication at all because all of them may have side effects? Certainly not! The procedure is to follow instructions of the manufacturer. Have we become so distracted that we have forgotten that food grade mineral oil has been used for ages for medicinal purposes and that it is widely used by packing industries to lubricate machinery and that the foods we eat and food handlers have been constantly exposed to FGMO for decades?
    As stated previously, I do not seek wealth, fame or glory with my work. I am proud of my work and have promptly published my findings worldwide via trade magazines, newspapers and, yes, the Internet in order that beekeepers may have access to them and be able to use them accordingly. My compensation comes in the form of words of praise and encouragement from beekeepers worldwide that are using my FGMO/thymol protocol with high degree of success, most of them keeping a tacit attitude for fear of unfair criticism from false preachers who for unknown reasons employ scare tactics without foundation. My FGMO/thymol protocol has not been replicated; hence no one can rightfully offer critiques of any kind. In scientific work, ideas (hypothesis) are formulated and tested for efficacy. If successfully proven, then they are mostly used for the benefit of humanity. Detractors with fictional opinions about FGMO complain about my objections to debate my findings in public as in Beesource.com. I enjoyed participating in the forum initially, however I declined to continue because I felt that the forum was being used for personal attacks and that such behavior was highly unfair to Barry, a person with immense generosity and meritorious contributions to beekeeping. My faith and professional etiquette keep me from participating in such situations. My apologies to those who felt that I should have continued participation in the Beesource forum, however I continue to offer readily my disposition to communicate via e-mail or telephone. In Him.
    Dr. Pedro P Rodriguez
    Virginia Beach, VA
    and
    Alcalá de Henares, Spain
    e-mail: dronebeer@netscape.net
    telephone 757-486-1573 (USA) ; 34-91-882-3138 (Spain)
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Thank you Clint!!!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'll second that!
    To everything there is a season....

THIRD!!!!
    Keep it coming.

Fourth!!
    Very interesting.

Thankyou!!

You know, I've been able to influence a few old tymers in my neck of the woods...they've watched me fog and gone out and bought Bonide foggers so they could do their own hives independent of me. I learned from others here who learned from Dr. R's teachings....

All I can say is thanks, I appreciate the lessons and am happy with the outcome so far...so my gratitude to Dr. R and his happy followers.

I certainly appreciate the information.

However, I find it a little disconcerting that one would use Scripture that is specifically speaking about Jesus Christ our Savior and the way to eternal life and somehow use it as a means to promote FGMO/Thymol or at least diss those who may disagree.

At a minimum, I find it disrespectful of God's Word.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Well Dan
    I think all of "us" that clame CHRIST as savior should bee as BOLD to include HIM in EVERY part of our life!!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    Well Dan
    I think all of "us" that clame CHRIST as savior should bee as BOLD to include HIM in EVERY part of our life!!
    I understand that Ed. The problem is... that he is using the verse to promote the use of FMGO. He is NOT using the verse to promote the gospel or to even explain what it means... He is using the verse to stab at those who question FGMO.

In my view it is a complete disregard to the sanctity of Scripture and misuse of the Word of God.

This use of the verse wasn't about including Christ in every part of our life. This was about dissing the naysayers.

Had he used a verse such as John 3:16.... For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life....

and then used the verse....

“They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” 2Timothy 4:4

Then I would not have a problem. But to use that verse and then go into a dissertation about the history, benefit, and use of FGMO, and again discuss how he felt he was personally attacked at Beesource makes it clear how he wanted the verse to be taken.

Let's use Scripture to promote the Gospel and the plan of Salvation. Lets not use it to promote or diss someone who has a different point of view about something that has NO eternal significance.

When he was leaving I sent him an email asking him to stay. I think there is some promise to FGMO/Thymol. I had supercedure issues when I fogged but it did help with mites. I wish he would have stayed. But in my view he is using Scripture to backhand those who disagree with him. That to me is no better than what he is accusing others of doing.
    Last edited by Dan Williamson; 10-04-2007 at 07:47 AM.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Here's another story:

A while ago, a guy popped up and announced that you could control
    varroa mite infestations with fogged FGMO. Lots of people ran out
    and bought foggers, and the peaceful countryside was suddenly
    noisy with all that fogging going on.

Funny thing though, even if you fogged every week, you still lost
    hives. But those who invested in the foggers persisted, as they
    hated to admit that they had wasted their money and time.

A few fires were started by mis-adjusted foggers, but no one died.

Eventually, controlled studies were done, and fogged FGMO was
    found to be no better than the untreated control hives in terms
    of keeping hives from varroa overload and collapse.

So, FGMO + Thymol was trotted out as being an even better way
    to control varroa. No admission was made that FGMO alone just
    would not do the job, it was simply stated that FGMO and thymol
    was "better". This was no big surprise, as thymol had been proven
    to be effective in Europe and the US. The only difference here was
    the method of application, where an expensive and occasionally
    balky piece of equipment was used, rather than the simple approach
    of strips or powders.

So, fogged FGMO, as an inert carrier for thymol is said to "work",
    and there is no reason to think that this would not be a reasonable
    way to distribute thymol around a hive, assuming of course that
    you get your dose correct, and have the fogger set up properly.
    So I guess everyone can declare victory in their own terms, and
    go home.

The lesson here is that beekeepers like the idea of a "weapon"
    to use against varroa much more than a "miticide" or "control".
    If it looks like a weapon, so much the better, but it should
    at least make a big cloud and some noise. Vaporized oxalic acid
    was much the same, and had the extra advantage of needing
    a propane torch for that soupcon of pyromania in all of us.

But FGMO for varro is much like Sodium Diacetate for foulbrood.
    When tested, it works no better than spraying water in the
    hive, but it just seems like something that beekeepers want
    to be true.

I suggested long ago that foggers be equipped with mirrors, so
    that the beekeeper would have BOTH smoke and mirrors.

Jim, you forgot the period of time when "cords" were required.

Your certainly not going to get any "God bless you" comments with posts like that.

About an hour or two ago, I did see "Dr. Pedro Rodriguez" signed in at the bottom of the page where it shows who's on-line. I wonder who that was using his name? You don't suppose.....nah, couldn't be.......

Default Food Grade Mineral Oil

Dear fellow participants.
    First of all I wish to apologize to any and all who may feel offended when I cite religoius matters in my writing. There is no offense intended.
    Secondly, any one who knows me would immedately agree that I am a devout Christian. I do not use The Lords name in vain nor the scriptures. I use the scriptures, the bible or any other religous art or literature for no other reason than to praise The Lord and His creation. My work and my faith to the Lord are sacred to me. Both are always in communion. I respect and praise those that feel as I do and pray for those who differ. The Lord is my judge and I do not judge others hence I would never use the scriptures to lash at those who disagree with me. My quotes have only one meaning as it has been meant to be as long as these have existed. I think that my use of the scriptures should be a factor of cohesion for all rather than dissension. I recite The Lords Prayer often giving special emphasis when I ask The Lord to forgive my offenses since I believe that He is full of love and forgiveness.
    I left beesource because I felt that my faith was being questioned and that my faith was being used to create controversy in the forum fact that I considered unfair to Barry and a disserservice to beekeeping.
    I think that I have selfishly given a lifetime of work for my socond love, honeybees. I find it hard to believe that beekeepers would use my faith to discredit my contributions to beekeeping. I will use my faith to continue to do so as long as the Good Lord allows me to do it and hope and pray that I will be understood.
    My very best to all and God bless.
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Dr. Pedro Rodriguez

I'm disappointed that there are always some who feel compelled to intervene and "save" all of the misguided beekeepers blindly shuffling with outstretched arms toward the edge of the unseen FGMO/Thymol cliffs.

This thread was started in reference to FGMO/Thymol. I'm sure your hearts are in the right place, you are simply attempting to spare us the heartache of failure. But if one does not agree with it, why not just move on, ignore it, and let all of us fools continue with our babbling in ignorance. If we end up failing, then we deserve to be "straightened out".

Everyone spends (wastes) their hard earned money on one pet project or another. I, myself, just purchased a fogger and thymol a couple of weeks ago and am putting it to the test. I'll let you know in a year from now if it was worth it. No amount of "talking about it", one way or the other, will satisfy my curiosity and give me a definitive answer. I'll know for sure once I've used it in my own yards.

How do you reply [edit by mod]. I think there was enough spread with that one post to cover "New York/Bahamas/Malaysia" with at least 6 feet of it. I won't even try to respond to something so ridiculously wrong.

As for the Dr., I don't think this is tailgator, so it isn't the place to discuss religion.

As for FGMO and thymol, it kills mites. That's all I am interested in.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: name calling

> Jim, you forgot the period of time when "cords" were required.

Ooops, you are correct - the CORDS. Yeah, that was before thymol
    became available to the masses. But as I recall, there was a short
    period where one was supposed to use only a "special" sort of thymol
    somehow different/better/gooder than anything else.

So many revisions, so little vision.

> Your certainly not going to get any "God bless you" comments
    > with posts like that.

Sure I will - I've gotten lots of them.
    If I can save just one hive of God's creatures, or keep just
    one guy from quitting beekeeping because his bees keep dying every
    other season, then it will be worth the abuse of the vacant-eyed zombies
    who follow anyone who claims to have found "the magic bullet" against
    varroa.

> I won't even try to respond...

And, right on cue, Iddee shows up. .

It is not that you won't even try, it is that your prior attempts
    failed, and the historical record contradicts you at every turn!

> As for FGMO and thymol, it kills mites. That's all I am interested in.

No, it is [SIZE=3]thymol [/SIZE]that kills mites. The FGMO is just to make the woosh
    sound and the cloud of smoke. The fogger is much like one of those
    "Light Sabers" favored by 8-year-olds who want to play at being Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.

So maybe it is the thymol that kills the mites, but it is the FGMO and fogger that makes treatment time about 4 seconds per hive and about 10 cents per treatment. If you prefer to pay multi-dollars and have to open each hive twice or more per treatment to get it done, that's your choice. I have better things to do with my time and money.

Like buy 8 year old toys and play with my grandsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fischer View Post
    The fogger is much like one of those
    "Light Sabers" favored by 8-year-olds who want to play at being Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.

Ouch, I may have to rethink this thing.

I was picturing myself as a "Jean-Claude Van Damme" Universal Soldier character in the beeyard.

Now I'm really bummed!

I gave up on the fogging about a year ago and sold my fogger. Wish I had kept it now!!! Dang if that thing wasn't fun! Light sticks don't hold a candle to one of them things!!!! Whewhoooooo

And for all you newcomers, that's why Dr. Rodriguez left...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast