Default Electric heating cable around extractor

I was thinking of purchasing the Extractor heat tape from Betterbee and wanted to know if anyone else has used it to warm the extractor.
    http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1241

I thought it might help the honey flow better while extracting in my cool basement. I also thought of just purchasing some of the heat tape used for keeping pipes from freezing. What do you think?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff McGuire; 09-29-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: spelling

The heat tapes for pipes probably have a thermostat and will not turn on untill it is close to freezing so they will not help. We have our extractor on a base. We wired lights under the extractor and in this base and have them controoled by a Ranco thermostat. The base temp is set at 110 degrees and it works great.

The heat tape for pipes do not have a thermastat since I live in a mobile home in nebraska I can be sure of that but am not sure that it would get warm enough to do the job if you turn it on in warm weather or forget to unplug it like I have a few times the water in the pipes is warm but does not seem warm enough to do what you may want to do. The stuff you seen advertised specifically for extractors may work better since heat tape for pipes is designed to keep pipes unfroze but not exactally hot. talk to the dealer and find out exactally how warm the extactor tape gets they should know something about the products they sell if not find another dealer that does.

I have one from Kelley on my extractor.It works well I for get the temp it gets to but the honey comes out just warm to the touch.It helps the straing go a bit better.
    Mitch KD8IMF

Since we already had soil heating cables for the greenhouse, I tried one around the extractor last year and was pleased with the results. Have also successfully used heated grow mats wrapped around the HFCS to liquify it. I think it would work well to liquify honey too. In the past I had also used an old electic blanket and that worked really well too. I'd use it again, but can't find it. It's really great when you can find multiple uses for things....especially if you are a frugal pennypincher like me!

Mabe
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

Default Water Bed heater mats

I got conned into garage sale-ing with my wife a couple of Saturdays ago and noticed two very well used water bed heaters on a table at one of the homes. I wondered if they might work well, having a large surface area, etc. and the cost was low. Their low wattage means low Btu's so they might not heat up a tank or extractor too much. Their condition and appearance kept me from buying them or I would have. They had T-stats up to 100F and the low wattage wouldn't cost much to operate. Anyone try these as tank or extractor heaters?

One year I was running late in to the on coming winter on extracting. Every thing was cool except the frames that had been heated in a warming box, a discarded refrigerator with lamps.
    By the time I got 20 or more frames uncaped they had lost the warmth. I thought if I wraped the extracted with a heat tape the honey would stay warm and strain quickly out of the extractor.
    I found a 50' tape @ 11 watts /foot sold by Granger with no thermostat involved.
    I wrapped it around the outside aprox. 7 turns then covered the tape with a 1/2" blanket of flexible styrofoam.
    I wired the tape into a switch that would pre heat the wall of the extractor before it was run, switch up. No heat, sw in center position. Switch in down position, tape on with the extractor running on a spring wound timer up to 30 min. A pilot light also is lit when tape is energized. The tape takes the chill off the extracted honey razing the temp to about 75 deg.F. when the room is about 55-60 deg. F.
    Walt

Smile

Hey if you look at the water pipe heat tape out close to the end you will see some clear plastic bag and in that bag is a contact switch which is the therstat it want work . I all so thought about it but after checking it out see where it wouldn't. I'm also aplumber for 20 + retired