Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk Honey Buyers

67K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  RossD 
#1 ·
Can we get a list here of buyers who buy bulk honey? I've had people ask me and I haven't a clue. Please give name and contact info. Thanks.

- Barry

#32 ·
oh barry I don't even question your purposes..... and I don't really think what rainesridge or chef are doing is in anyway unethical as long as the customer understand what they are buying.

I just say... go slow and careful with both hands on the helm.

my 2 cents...

#33 ·
You mislabelled this thread

Current market prices tell me their are no bulk honey buyers, there are bulk honey takers ,offering less than what north american honey is worth. These takers will take your honey for a meager sum , less than a 1.00/lb blend it with cheap foreign honey and sell it.
They are all in competition with one another, for market share, for the lowest price on the shelf, and to see who can make the most profit.
The industrial honey market, which accounts for nearly 50% or better of all honey sold in the USA is governed strictly by price alone.That big cereal maker don't care where his honey comes from or it's quality, he just wants to be able to say on the cereal box it's got honey in it, even if it's only 10 cents worth of honey .You see the word " honey" has a very good name with consumers and this helps sales.

irwin
in manitoba, canada, where there's 8 months of winter and 4 months of poor sledding

#34 ·
Current market prices tell me their are no bulk honey buyers, there are bulk honey takers ,offering less than what north american honey is worth. These takers will take your honey for a meager sum , less than a 1.00/lb blend it with cheap foreign honey and sell it.
They are all in competition with one another, for market share, for the lowest price on the shelf, and to see who can make the most profit.
The industrial honey market, which accounts for nearly 50% or better of all honey sold in the USA is governed strictly by price alone.That big cereal maker don't care where his honey comes from or it's quality, he just wants to be able to say on the cereal box it's got honey in it, even if it's only 10 cents worth of honey .You see the word " honey" has a very good name with consumers and this helps sales.

irwin
in manitoba, canada, where there's 8 months of winter and 4 months of poor sledding
Do you expect differently? Isn't this true w/ just about any commodity? Certainly you don't expect things to be different w/ honey, do you?

Honey packers are in the BUSINESS of making money by selling honey. If you, or anyone else, doesn't like the price that they are quoted by the packers try packing it yourself and see how much you get and how much it costs you to produce, package and distribute your own honey.

If you aren't willing to do that then let's stop boo-hooing about what someone else is willing to pay us for our product and get on with enjoying our livelyhood or, probably most of y'all, our hobby.

#35 ·

"Do you expect differently? Isn't this true w/ just about any commodity? Certainly you don't expect things to be different w/ honey, do you?

Honey packers are in the BUSINESS of making money by selling honey. If you, or anyone else, doesn't like the price that they are quoted by the packers try packing it yourself and see how much you get and how much it costs you to produce, package and distribute your own honey.

If you aren't willing to do that then let's stop boo-hooing about what someone else is willing to pay us for our product and get on with enjoying our livelyhood or, probably most of y'all, our hobby."

Yes, I did expect things to be different this fall and maybe they will be yet
Perhaps you should check what the price of corn, wheat, oil, and gold have done in the past 2-3 months, many commodities have increased dramatically and inflation is rising steadly
I have been following Ron Phipps aricles in the ABJ and it is quite possible that a shortage of honey will occur.
I also pack and sell a little honey,about xxxx cases a year so I know the bottom line on that.
Can't sell it all that way, believe me I'D LOVE TOO so I get to deal with the packers.
Like any buissness , it's much more fun when you make money.I would say that the current prices offered do not reflect a decent profit for producing bulk honey in north america.
There are certain risks invoved in producing a honey crop, weather being a very big one,
and a good crop or a bumper crop is not obtained every year.
This honey buissness may be a hobby for you but I make my living out of it, maybe you should try it

#36 ·
irwin harlton;267558 This honey buissness may be a hobby for you but I make my living out of it said:
I believe that you and I are in the same boat, making a living wise. At least I've been trying to. I'm sure an accountant would advise me to try something else. I may not be getting what I want for my honey, but there are other benefits that keep me trying. I imagine that this may be true for you too?

#37 ·
Yes we are in the same boat

Honey prices are going up AND

"A rising tide lifts all boats"

and you are right there are alot of other benefits in this buissness. Getting to work very close to nature and God's wonderfull gift to humanity the honey bee, being just one.

Sometimes the bottom line just doesn't seem that important in the grand scheme of life

Irwin
...... getting alittle older, not necessiarly wiser, but loving what I do....... I keep bees.

#39 ·
Irwin I think you are pretty much on track with this comment
"Current market prices tell me their are no bulk honey buyers, there are bulk honey takers ,offering less than what north american honey is worth. These takers will take your honey for a meager sum , less than a 1.00/lb blend it with cheap foreign honey and sell it."
With prices for Bees and equipment as well as operating costs ( gas ), winter losses etc going up every year yet the large packers holding the price of bulk honey down for obivious reasons. I would suggest that they (large packers) are
price fixing in order to enhance profits. It is to their advantage to offer lower prices when a small operation needs the cash flow to expand their operation. If they get a small beeks harvest they dont make as much but from a beek that produces 10-15 barrels there is a substantial amount of money to be made . You can do the math . I am a small beek but by no means am I a simple beek, having negotiated several labor agreements I have leaned to count the beans.
I did not intend to stray from the original topic. I think it would be a good idea to list honey buyers , and sellers not only for the purposes of the board but to offer our customers a better variety of honeys. I hope that this idea will not be picked apart by people ....Rick Alexander

#40 ·
market

Too much buying power is held by a small number of large sized packers.They can manipulate the market.They stick together tighter than a flock of sheep
Producers are still paying for the big price paid to producers in 2002. This fall
they literally stole the Argentina crop, which was off 30% but prices only increased 10-12 % and white honey was in short supply.
Packers wharehouses are full this 2007 fall, they are still buying cheap domestic honey and paying alittle more for it elsewhere.
US 2007 crop is off 14% from 2006 crop and 2006 crop was the worst ever.( SOURCE- bee culture magazine)
Inflation is going to rage up into high double digits from this economic mess.
Imports to the US are going to cost more.
Accurate information is one the few powers producers have.
Mid US Honey Producers hotline is one source, 763 658 4193

#42 ·
country of orgin label in canada

kinda of a joke here, a bad joke on producers
Canadian honey council has been asking CFIA to change the current honey label for 8 years
Current label says Canada#1, (OR grade) and infine print on the back blend of or country of orgin , so far all that has been accomplished is a study by CFIA that shows the labels could possibly be missleading to a consumer.We are not the only industry affected by this, the juice industry has a problem where the country of orgin is not shown or required.
tis a sad state of affairs
Domestic honey is tested in the same no. of tests as imported, and these numbers are not high
CFIA is a disaster looking for a place to happen, and give it enought time it will ; only it wouldn't be pet food it will be people food

#43 ·
Wow this thread went way off topic didnt it lol. We'll I've been lurking on this forum for a while but I decided to join today since I'm in need of purchasing bulk amounts of raw honey for my newly founded business :) Trying to go down the health route... Anyways
I guess I could give it a shot here. I'm looking for lots and lots of buckwheat of any sorts (wildflower buckwheat) or those dark honeys... and sage of any sorts :) white, purple, black button ... So please if anyone can supply me with some honey, I'll purchase it at any quantity.

Shoot me an email at
logik1092@gmail.com

#44 ·
Hi,
I have 25 buckets (5gallons) of honey (golden color wildflower) I am trying to cell it in bulk. Does any one know where i could sell it bulk in upstate NY?
I used to keep around 10 hives and was able to sell all my honey to my regular customers. But in last two years I made increase to 30 hives and this year I got so much honey that I do not know what to do with it all.

Thanks