Default Spinning cappings - extractor baskets?

I was left with several pounds of cappings this weekend from my harvest and decided to build a basket to fit in the extractor to spin them out. I looked on catalogs and while I know you can buy radial conversion baskets, I was suprised to see that there aren't ready made capping baskets available.

Anyone else cobbled together a basket (or sell a drop in basket for regular extractors)? I used stainless gutter guard mesh for the "wall".
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

How well did your baskets do the job?
    Walt

Default Cappings

We have spun out cappings in our 60 ++++ year old 45 frame woodman extractor for over 20 years.
    We have 4 pieces of tin we put on the floor of the extractor & the walls of the extractor basket are built like a grinder screen.
    Probably one of only " bad things " out of our extraction process but in reality it works great.l

Rsuchan, what size of basket openings (holes in vertical screen) max should be used?
    Walt

Default Hole Size

I will have to look this weekend to be sure but I am sure they are between 3/16 & a 1/4 of a inch

We use mesh laundry, sweater, lingerie bags...cheap, strong, easy to wash. You can put quite a few together in the extractor.

Mabe
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

Brushy Mountain sells mesh bags for spinning out your cappings. They aren't that big but do work reasonably well. I picked up a couple and spun my cappings for the first time this year. Saved about 90 pounds of honey so it was probably worth the time. Should be reasonably easy to make your own as well.

-Tim

rsuchan sezs:
    We have 4 pieces of tin we put on the floor of the extractor & the walls of the extractor basket are built like a grinder screen.

tecumseh replies:
    in some places called a grinder sieve. you can also go to a fabracation shop which does a modest amount of aluminum and stainless steel work and they likely have a similar product (pre punched metal sheet) in stainless steel.

Default Re: Spinning cappings - extractor baskets?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
    We use mesh laundry, sweater, lingerie bags...cheap, strong, easy to wash. You can put quite a few together in the extractor.

Mabe
    I have been readings lots of reviews regarding washing clothes in best possible manner. Do the usage of lingerie bags enhance the quality of washing. i am not sure how it is possible
    Last edited by JoseGreer; 05-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Default Re: Spinning cappings - extractor baskets?

Kelley has baskets for spinning cappings. They will also fit in the Maxant 20 frame extractor.

Hartz