Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: end this forum?

Default end this forum?

It seems to me that the FGMO forum has run its course. Would not everyone agree? Since Pedro asked me to remove all his info from the POV section and left here as moderator, I'm thinking we can simply move the threads to another forum like Diseases and Pests.

I'm open to friendly debate on this before making a decision.

- Barry

I say to move it! We don't have a sugar dusting forum or an Apiguard forum or any other treatment specific pest managment forum.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

"I" would have removed the FGMO forum a loooog time ago.

Dan's reasoning, "We don't have a sugar dusting forum", sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    "I" would have removed the FGMO forum a loooog time ago.

Dan's reasoning, "We don't have a sugar dusting forum", sounds reasonable.
    I'll second that ... or is it a third.

Yep, move it or drop it. It doesn't really need its own place on the list. But thanks for giving it a place for the time it caught our attention.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Move but dont drop it, I hate to see Doc Rod`s work hidden we need more people that are willing to share their work without wanting a bundle of money!!!!!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Taking a cue from alternative pollinators how about something on the order of "alternative mite treatments" that would encompass all "soft" mite treatments from FGMO to OA to powdered sugar and everything in between.

But then you get into whats soft and whats not.
    I wouldn't call OA trickle, as soft method. Do it twice in winter and they say it can kill the hive. Vaporize OA without a respirator and your poisoning yourself.

I vote to lump together in diseases and pests.

Lump it together with diseases and pests.

Then lump wanted to buy, for sale, honey trader, pollination service, bee removal and consumer report under "trading post".

Lump everything honey and mead making with products of the hive.

Lump chat room with bee forum.

Either do away with the spanish forum or add a forum for each language world wide.

OR.......Just leave it all alone. It is fine the way it is.

I can't see going overboard or into extremes. But I do agree that having a dedicated forum for one particular treatment is clearly not needed.

End it. Kind of a shame that what's his name gave up on it but I understand not banging ones head against the wall to hard even if one is correct.

There has been 25 new threads started in the fgmo forum this year. All but 1 have received replies. You want to remove it.

One forum has had a total of 5 new threads started this year. Only 2 have received replies. 3 have not. You haven't mentioned removing it.

I think there is still enough interest there to allow the fgmo forum to stay a while longer.

iddee,
    You did all kinds of counting. But forgot to count the only one that counts. The replies to this forum.

Lets see, those for dropping it...

Barry (I'll assume he must of at least thought about it, since he asked the question)
    Dan
    Dave
    HoneyHouse
    Grant
    Honeyman
    Jlyon
    MichaelW
    Bjorn
    Nurse

Those for leaving it...

iddee

Thats 11 for dropping it, and 1 for not.

Its not a deathwish for discussions on fgmo. Its just simply asking whether having a seperate forum is worth having. I see no reason why discussions on fgmo can't be done on the pest/desease forum like all the other treatment options. I guess I don't see the reasoning in a seperate forum. Can anyone suggest why its important to have a seperate forum, knowing that any discussions can just as easily be done on another forum? Some have simply stated along the lines of "I see no reason for a seperate forum for this one treatment, when we have a forum dedicated for all treatments." So whats the importance of a seperate forum?

Maybe Barry will or should consider the worthiness of other forums. But he is asking about this one. And overwhelmingly, the response has been the same.

And if he asks about one of the other threads, I'll give an answer about that one also. Not based on comparing forums to each other, but for the consideration of the forum itself.

I liked jlyon's suggestion.... if this FGMO forum is going to be eliminated then replace it with one that focuses on "Alternative Treatments" for pests. One that would include treatments such as FGMO, Sugar Dusting, Essential Oils, Oxalic Acid, etc.

This would be a separate place to discuss treatments that are not technically "approved" in the US. The Disease and Pests Forum could focus on mainstream treatment methods and products.

Just a suggestion for compromise.
    To everything there is a season....

I guess I am for it because it has helped me in my mite control for the last 7 years. I first read about FGMO then FGMO/Thymol on this forum. I then contacted Dr. Rodregaz and he taught me the right way to use it. Thank goodness for the people that experiment with these things. I know Dr. R backs this and in my using it I now back the proper use of fogging. If the forum is changed I hope that it will cover all types of treatments.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Why did Dr. R want you to remove all of his writing?

I do like the idea of a forum with treatments.

For the record, I am for keeping it also. As I work with other local beekeeps I use it as a reference, and also direct them to visit the site for more detailed information. If it doesn't hurt anything, I would like to see it stay. Have a great weekend, now that the sun has broken through the rain clouds...

I find it interesting that to date there has been 16 replies to this thread, and 442 views.
    Does that mean 426 "users" dont "care"?

Perhaps there are many who are apprehensive about stepping up and discussing "alternative" treatment methods, concerned that they may be challenged or ridiculed by those who have a differing point of view who hold fast to other approved "traditional" methods.

This is one reason I feel it would be nice to have a separate forum for discussing "alternative treatments", where one can feel free to open up and talk about them. If FGMO is moved to the "Diseases and Pests" section, for example, it will probably completely fade away. Maybe FGMO does not merit its' own forum at this point in time, but it would be a shame to see it moved and buried.
    To everything there is a season....

[QUOTE=Mike Gillmore;262671]Perhaps there are many who are apprehensive about stepping up and discussing "alternative" treatment methods, concerned that they may be challenged or ridiculed by those who have a differing point of view who hold fast to other approved "traditional" methods.

Ridocule is the reason Doc Rod isn`t here any more
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape