Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lotion bars

Are you sure it's the shea butter vs. the cocoa butter? I've found I like the deodorized cocoa butter better than the prime pressed cocoa butter. JMO

Do you need to add vitamin E to these to keep the oils from turning rancid?

Quote Originally Posted by ScadsOBees View Post
    Do you need to add vitamin E to these to keep the oils from turning rancid?
    yes you could add natural vit. E as a presertive, we haven't and have never encountered spoiled bars yet.
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hofer View Post
    I tried making lotion bars with shea butter, but the shea butter gives them a very "smoky" smell. Are there different refinements of shea butter available that take out the smoky smell?

JH
    Gosh, I haven't noticed any smoky problems with this recipe and I have made a lot. What fragrance oils do you put in?
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Hofer View Post
    I tried making lotion bars with shea butter, but the shea butter gives them a very "smoky" smell. Are there different refinements of shea butter available that take out the smoky smell?

JH

I have never had this problem with shea butter. Are you by chance overheating the shea butter scorching it when making the bar. shea butter has a lower melting point so I always add it to the mix last. I get my shea butter from columbia foods.
    Last edited by riverrat; 12-29-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Bee: Check your PMs

Smile Lotion Bars, Cost of supplies

I made a batch of lotion bars today, just like the first one on this thread from Bee Crazy, 3 oz. beeswax, 3 oz.shea butter, 4 oz sweet almond oil, 2.5 oz. cocoa butter. It turned out nice, I put it in a 1oz Tins. What retail price do you think these should sell for? What does Burts Bees get for this same type of product? With the high price of supplies and shipping, Wondering if it is worth it? My bees are costing me enough that all the extras like lotion bars have to earn me a few bucks or its not worth the effort. Any other ideas for products that do well at farmers markets?
    Mark Zeiner
    Mason Oh

Default hand salve, lip balm, candles

I've had good luck with hand salve and lip balm. I put some hand poured beeswax candles at the farmstand where my honey is. Started with a dozen tealights 3 pillar 4 votive and 6 6" tapers. Within a week they were gone, and someone asked for more votives and 10" tapers, so I've added them. We'll see how it goes. People do appreciate the fact that they're pure beeswax and are willing to pay for that.
    It's more work, but any hive products that you can add to your sales table will increase sales

Quote Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
    What retail price do you think these should sell for? Wondering if it is worth it? My bees are costing me enough that all the extras like lotion bars have to earn me a few bucks or its not worth the effort. Any other ideas for products that do well at farmers markets?
    I get $4.00 for an 1 oz bar. I do lip balm both these sell real well. They can be just has profitable as the honey. As far has Burts Bees I dont pay much attention on what they get most of the price people pay for that is the name recognition. The market will set the price for you if you go in a sell out quick your probably to cheap if you dont sell anything than you may be to high.

Default Re: lotion bars

I am going to bring this back for a bit if bee crazy is still around. What do you package your hand salve in for the market?
    Thanks

Default Re: lotion bars

OK it doesn't have to be bee crazy, whatever you are using for the farmers market to package your hand salve I could use some hints.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12