Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Article from Dr Rodregaz part 1

GOLDEN GOOSE IN BEEKEEPING

The whole world is alarmed regarding the latest reports about the disappearance of honey bees. “The picture is alarming – honey bee losses are severe in many countries”. Rogers et al, ABJ, May 2007, p441). Fears are justifiable since honey bees are involved in pollination of most of the foods that humans and animals consume in our planet. Such fears would be even more justified if we were to take into consideration Albert Einstein’s prediction, should honey bees disappear from our planet, humanity would last exactly four years. There is no doubt in my mind that this catastrophe would take place if bees were to disappear, but fear not, it is not going to happen, at least not at this point and time. However, we are in for pretty hard times if the present trend in beekeeping continues. As in every other aspect of the world’s economy, beekeeping is ruled by money, enormous amounts of money. Beekeeping, for some, is becoming the goose that lays golden eggs. As Kirk Webster, a commercial beekeeper, so very aptly quoted Mark Twain, (ABJ, September 2006, p755), “In America, the dollar is our God, and how to get it is our religion.” Unfortunately, this phenomenon applies not only to America but also to the entire world.
    It would take several pages of this publication for me to explain all the factors that I believe to be involved in the process of the disappearance of honey bees. I hope to be able to convey my thoughts in a simple way that is appealing to many readers, especially to beekeepers, and that my dialogue makes as much sense to them as it does to me.

I have been a beekeeper for 70 years and a veterinarian for 45 years and performed research in honey bee pest management for the last 15 years as a devoted nature lover, qualities that I believe make me well prepared to address the factors that I believe contribute to the to the present aliment of honey bees. In order to understand what is happening in beekeeping I believe that a brief analysis of the situation should be made at this point. We have the same diseases and parasites in beekeeping as we had 20 years ago (bacteria, mites, protozoans, viruses, hive beetles, Cape Bees, fungi, moths, lots of stress and definitely, transgenic seeds! Used to be, that if we had an ailment affecting honey bees in a large scale, we would be made aware of it the moment we came near a hive due to the stench of dead bees and one could see a pile of dead bees either in front of the hive or inside on the bottom board. In modern days we have added a convenient phrase to what we used to see in the past, disappearing bee syndrome, an inappropriate terminology. Why? Simply, because it does not exist. (Syndrome: the aggregate of symptoms associated with any morbid process, and constituting together the picture of the disease, Stedman’s Medical Dictionary, p1339). Yes, bees do disappear but it is not a syndrome. It is a condition, not an enigma as it has been made to be. It is an occurrence very easily related to economics. Instead, I prefer the term colony collapse disorder, or CCD, term that describes the situation appropriately.

Pharmaceutical/chemical manufacturing enterprises and the scientific community are enjoying a “windfall” from beekeepers in particular and beekeeping in general who worry at the prospect of going bankrupt, fact amply described in the media. It is not difficult to make a connection regarding money spent about disappearing honey bees and the factors responsible for their disappearance. Beekeepers are desperate attempting to save their bees and livelihood trying all kinds of remedies, commercial or otherwise, hoping to find the “silver bullet,” term commonly used by just about any one speaking about such remedies. Government agencies, institutions, beekeepers and beekeeping associations are spending huge amounts of money; for example, Scientific AG Co. donates $75,000 to California Association, ABJ, September 2006, p723, multimillion dollar funding now in process by United States legislature assigning funds for honey bee research for the next four years, Senate Bill, ABJ, August 1007, p663. Bee research conferences are being held frequently in the United States and in foreign countries, to which private individuals, corporate business, institutions and government representatives converge to discuss their views and findings about this disorder. All of them have a common view; beekeepers are losing great numbers of bees. All agree about lots of contributing ideas; almost as many different ones as there are investigators working on the subject. Unfortunately, in spite of the large number of accomplishments brought to these meetings, everything is not in agreement. Beekeepers in attendance complain that scientists are using different testing methods, times and numbers, (Bill Ruzicka, ABJ, August 2007, p658. Hence the need for an international standard treatment method as could be found in the FGMO/thymol treatment method. On the other hand, these meetings are good for the industry because they show ample range of social impact and human interaction. Proof: read the minutia of honey bee conferences, meetings, congresses and other contributing authors who are jumping into the scene,
    i. e. Mike McInnes, linking honey bees, diabetes and stress, ABJ, July 2007, p562. But do they solve the question of CCD? It does not appear to do so because the problem continues unabated.

Honey bees are very sensitive organisms and respond to just about all kinds of variants introduced into their colony. Beekeepers in their desperation are pouring many kinds of chemicals into the hives without taking into consideration that most of these remedies are toxic to their bees and that together with the illnesses affecting the bees, parasites, pesticides, transport to long distances (migratory beekeeping), all these conditions cause stress to honey bees. Honey bees under stress abandon their normal activities including hygienic behavior, an activity of vital importance for hive welfare, the bees many times respond to these factors by absconding. In other instances, chemicals, (especially those that leave residues in the combs), diseases and manipulation affect laying and brood rearing ending with diminished populations. This is especially true during winter months when bees are confined to the hives with little or no brood development. Under these circumstances, disasters such as Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) are likely to occur.

CCD has given bee researchers a field day with huge money grants. This is also good for beekeeping because I am sure that most of them will discover remedies to the ailments that may be affecting honey bees. Some of them already have. For instance Mariano Higes, a Spanish scientist, isolated a Nosema variant that has been found in a great number of colonies seemingly affected by CCD. I live near Mr. Higes place of work and I have known him for over ten years. He is a talented and dedicated researcher who may have found another contributing factor to CCD. However, We should take into consideration that pathogens can inflict severe damage to their hosts when the host’s strength is weakened as happens when the bees are stressed. Spain had a severe drought two years ago which I am sure was responsible for a great number of honey bee colonies collapsing, and perhaps the newly discovered Nosema strain contributed to their losses but it is doubtful that it was the sole responsible factor. I keep my bee colonies in the area, Guadalajara Province, and my bees are not disappearing. I have fabulous bee populations in my colonies (See attached photograph). This statement is not meant to take credit away from my friend’s work, but to indicate that investigators must look further to other causes if we expect to arrive at a definite solution to CCD.
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Default part 2

In my mind the solution to CCD is related primarily to the effect of the combination of factors such as: long distance movement of colonies, chemicals used within the colonies, diseases, parasites, GMO seeds and stress. Genetically engineered crops, (commonly known as GMO’s) are widely used in agriculture as enumerated in several pages of American Bee Journal, Internet, and multiple agriculture related literature. It has been documented that GMO’s actions are not limited to the crops for which they are intended but that GMO´s are also transmitted to adjacent plants in which honey bees forage. Do we need to worry about the effects of transgenic seeds in apiculture? In my opinion, the answer is yes. GMO’s are widely used in agriculture with few or no restrictions. Their presence has been shown in just about every plant that bears flowers hence the likelihood for bees to become exposed and be affected by them. One of the signs that have been noted in bees attributed to GMO’s is disorientation. Presumably, bees feeding on plants from GMO seeds become disoriented and cannot return to their hives. I have personally inspected hives affected by CCD that had no evidence or signs of illness. The brood chamber and supers had abundant honey but few bees; the queens were found surrounded by a handful of bees. There were neither fresh brood nor eggs. Reasonably, the queens had stopped laying.

Conclusion. I have not experienced CCD in neither my colonies in Virginia, United States of America nor my colonies in Spain. I know beekeepers (hobbyists and commercial) who report having great success in their business, all having one factor in common. All, including me, use FGMO/thymol treatments. I have been performing research with FGMO/thymol since 1993. Since then, I have made my findings known immediately after completion each year, and continue to do so for the benefit of beekeeping. I continue to receive phone calls and mail regarding the use of FGMO/thymol. My replies are the same. My work continues to be successful using my established protocol. It is significant that that I have not treated my bees in Virginia since May 2007. In Spain, my partners and I continue to use FGMO/thymol treatments because occasional mites are being brought from weak/sick colonies by robbing bees or wandering drones.
    The beekeeping industry is in trouble to say the least. Commercial preparations are expensive, have limitations of application, may be toxic to bees and leave residues in wax and honey while food grade mineral oil and natural plant extract (FGMO/thymol) formula and protocol developed by me does not and the ingredients are readily available at very economic prices. It has been demonstrated by means of strict gas chromatography testing in the United States and Europe that when applied according to my protocol, no residues have been found in either honey or wax even though my formulation is applied during the entire year. Honey bee researchers have expressed their opinion that FGMO/thymol treatments are not recommended by them because FGMO/thymol research has not been “scientifically” researched, alleging that I did not use control hives in some of my research. During nearly fifteen years, only five (known) researchers have alleged that FGMO did not work for them. Reading the description of their test procedures, the answer for their failure was clear and evident. They did not follow the protocol established by me; hence they did not replicate my work. .

Beekeeping is in dire need of utilization of all resources and tools available to attain unity and progress. For the sake of beekeeping and for what benefit may arise out of it, it is evident that some of the resources that are being spent in research could be dedicated to replicate my FGMO/thymol work. There is no reason for not attaining the same results as I have, provided that my protocol is followed, as required by replication. A lot could be accomplished and very little lost. My whole life has been dedicated to my love for honey bees and it shall remain forever so. I have never searched for wealth, fame or glory for my work hence replication could be called XYZ for that matter. Failure to replicate my work looms as a great disservice to beekeeping and to humanity.
    Dr. Pedro P. Rodriguez
    Virginia Beach, VA, United States of America
    and
    Alcalá de Henares, Spain
    August 16, 2007
    e-mail: dronebeer@netscape.net
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

Very interesting.

Default dr. of fgmo

good article I like it, and good job finding it.

It's good to hear from Dr. Rodriguez.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

ClintonBemrose, Thanks for sharing the Dr. Rodriguez writings. I wasn't a part of beesource when he was here, and now I am using the Thymol/FGMO treatment to help my honeybees as they need it. I for one appreciate his work...and enjoyed reading what you posted.

Where's that "big money" he mentions?

So far, no one has seen any big money.
    Funds are being "borrowed" from other funded projects, not an
    optimal approach for those who want to keep their jobs.

Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 09-14-2007 at 05:47 PM.
    To everything there is a season....

>>>>Conclusion. I have not experienced CCD in neither my colonies in Virginia, United States of America nor my colonies in Spain. I know beekeepers (hobbyists and commercial) who report having great success in their business, all having one factor in common. All, including me, use FGMO/thymol treatments.

So what does that mean? That so few use FGMO that the chances of someone having CCD is minimal? Or something else. I know many, many beekeepers who don't have CCD or use FGMO, and what does that say?

>>>>During nearly fifteen years, only five (known) researchers have alleged that FGMO did not work for them. Reading the description of their test procedures, the answer for their failure was clear and evident. They did not follow the protocol established by me; hence they did not replicate my work.

Which protocol are we speaking about? It has changed so many times over the years, its hard to say. I remember once that claims of failed protocol procedure was based on the length of the cord being cut too short. Any protocol that has basis for failure in a cord one inch shorter then another cord showing success, and that was the basis for claiming failed tests, has to be questioned with a bit of skepticism. Does the protocol even still use these cords?

I have been waiting for "The cyclone" vinegar ads to make some claim of CCD results. As well as others. I guess the marketing campaigns will be in full swing soon.

I don't see how anyone can make claims as to CCD. We don't even know what CCD is yet? As of this time, I have heard among other things, neonicotinoids poisoning, viruses, protein deficiency and nutrition, and lets throw in cell phones to keep this post on the lighter side.

I'll start with these four items. Lets assume for a minute that each four were independantly responsible for CCD. Yes, without formal studies, one could always claim we just don't know without the studies. But humor me anyways. Can we take a guess or give an opinion how FGMO would save bees from systemic neonicotinoid poisoning? Or how bees suffering from "low protein deficiency" would be helped by fogging and some FGMO protocol? How much protein is in FGMO anyways? (More humor)

Come now people. Lets scrutinize this as we do everything else. Nothing gets a pass. And if someone does have a problem with this piece listed here on beesource, then lets not attack the person adding too or asking questions.

Nice observation Jim. I think the big dollars will not be coming though as some had hoped. The boy crying wolf got cuaght with his pants down. No crop went unpollinated. And although that was a good thing for industries such as almonds and apples, I see no real action until the food industry gets hurt and makes the same claim as beekeepers did. Its seems nobody cares if a few beekeepers get hurt while the food industry carries forward.
    Last edited by BjornBee; 08-25-2007 at 08:30 AM.

...all the while, it looks like there will be 23million put towards researchng the ivory billed woodpecker habitat...in case it is not extinct.

deknow

Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 09-14-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Mike,
    If a bear craps in the woods, and nobody smells it...yes the bear still crapped, but did anyone know about it.

Ok, Ok. Just putting a twist on an old saying.

But the truth is, I for one heard nothing on the news, nothing in the trade magazines, and nothing publicly about pollination shortages. I have not even read anything of the sort in the bee industry magazines. So I ask, do congressman know about these "pockets" of shortages? How about the media? This is certainly the first I have heard such claims. And this is a beekeeping forum that you would of thought such discussions would of been all over the place with such shortages happening.

Yeah, I'm sure there was a pocket somewhere. But without the press, without the chatter, without the congressman knowing about it, without the apple industry publishing it.......I'll stick with my comment "No crop went unpollinated".

If you want to argue semantics or micro-details of my comments, thats fine. But the spirit behind what I said holds true. That massive food shortages, crops going unpollinated, and all the other doom and gloom comments....equated to the little boy crying wolf, and getting caught. It did not happen.

Its sad to say, but the bee industry will not be seeing the payouts as asked for. The doom and gloom is slipping by the way side. The food industry was hurt almost nothing on a national scale. Thats the bottom line. Sorry about a few pockets. It changes little as to the entire story or comment I made.

Did anyone else see apple growers scrambling for units? Not just scrambling, which does happen, but going without? (And not for going without by choice, but becuase they could not find any bees) I didn't hear of any myself. But I'll leave open the idea that there was a few somewhere.

Last edited by BjornBee; 08-25-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 09-14-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Great points Bjorn.......... Nothing is "effective" on something we don't even understand the cause of, let alone a good definition.

Personally I fog with FGMO and Thymol. It is not a silver bullet. I firmly believe that is helps grooming, and especially tracheal mites. It also inhibits molds.

The recent Randy Oliver article in ABJ made a good and very valid point regarding fogging. WEAR A RESPIRATOR!

Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 09-14-2007 at 05:49 PM.

No losses from "CCD" but heavy losses last winter due to weather mainly.

Last edited by Mike Gillmore; 09-14-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    My next question then is... How can you be certain that FGMO/Thymol is NOT the "Silver Bullet"? I personally think it should be critically tested and either confirmed or eliminated from the list of effective treatments against "CCD" .. whatever it is.

Have there been any documented cases of CCD in your area?
    You are right, we don't know. For that matter, how do we know that banging the hive with an old chicken bone isn't the silver bullet for CCD? I think banging on hives with an old chicken bone (from a black rooster no less ) should be critically tested and confirmed or eliminated from the list of effective treatments against CCD . . . wait a minute, what is CCD?

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    The recent Randy Oliver article in ABJ made a good and very valid point regarding fogging. WEAR A RESPIRATOR!
    When that suggestion was made a very long time ago it sparked a rather heated discussion about the necessity of such safety gear. As I recall it was taken rather personally as an attempt to impugn the safety of fogged FGMO.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Keith,
    On target.

I have heard, although I'm waiting for the "official" marketing blitz on the cyclone "vinegar machine", that one person I know says that discussion with "other" people have indicated that the cyclone will handle CCD. Although they also claim that it handles afb, efb, v-mites, t-mites, and who knows what else.

I have also heard one breeder who gets russians directly from Harpers make the claim that Charlie has indicated that not one person who he knows that uses his queens has ccd.

So now FGMO wants on the list?

I really don't think research is effective in this approach.

Heck I don't have CCD. Not sure if its sitting on beesource wasting half the day that makes the difference, or that my bees seem to lick up the minerals from the last time I took a leak on the bush next to the hives. But we better check that out. I could be spraying the miracle fluid that saves all of mankind.

Where did this article come from? I'm not sure if its a request for support in testing of FGMO, or a marketing campaign for FGMO. It has the usual fear factor and qoutes from a bunch of dead people indicating timeframes we will live once bees disappear, and other such matters.

I know clinton is a longtime supporter of FGMO and has been qouted with his testimonials many times by Dr. R. So was this a reprint from an article? I find it amazing that this is sent here on beesource. I'm sure other more professional approaches and support could be found if he would contact the CCD team himself or take a different path.

Gotta go. Yes, I mean litarally, I GOT TO GO! I'll be back after I pee on my hives and save humanity.