Default Yellow Jackets eating honey

I was cleaning up my garage and I found a frame with some honey stored along the top. (I pulled the framed 3 weeks ago) I did a little damage to the capping and it was leaking honey so I figured I would just put it out for the bees. At first I put it about 20' from the hives and after 3 days no bees. I then put it about 6' from the hives and I notice a lot of activity on the frame. Lots of yellow jackets going in and out of the cells. They were going after the honey. My bees wouldn't go near the frame. I thought they were meat eaters only. I thought it was common practice to leave frames out for the bees to clean up?

Why didn't my bees go for the honey? 6' from the hive they must have known it was there.
    Last edited by LEAD PIPE; 09-13-2007 at 06:38 AM.

yellow jackets like sweets to, thats why they say while drinking cokes by the pool it is best to use a straw, yellow jackets like cokes too thats how people get fat lips ......
    Ted

I just went out and looked at my hives and the yellow jackets are giving the guard bees a work out.

if your bee's arent working the extra supers, clean the yellow jackets out and put the super above the intercovers of the hives if you have them.... I have heard people on here say this many times but have never tried it, usually I put any extra supers or frames out and my bee's cover them..
    Ted

I put my cappings out, and I think all of the wasps, bees, and yellow jackets turn out for the party.

Doesn't make a difference how many I kill...there are two more coming in to replace them.

It is the worst in the fall as the worker YJ's get cut loose from the wasp hives since brood rearing is coming to a close. They have nothing better to do than to enjoy a nice cool sweet beverage before they die....

-r

They gather meat to feed their brood, the larvae give the adults sugar when fed.

No more brood this time of year, so they need sugar!