Default Collecting Pollen?

With goldenrod blooming, should we be "beating the bushes" and collecting some in order to make patties later in the year? Will it come out of the plant with simple shaking? - Mike

Default Re: Collecting Pollen?

Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    With goldenrod blooming, should we be "beating the bushes" and collecting some in order to make patties later in the year? Will it come out of the plant with simple shaking? - Mike
    Mike, I don't think you'll be able to collect more than a few grams of pollen shaking g-rod, and most of that would end up on your clothes and hair. Since it isn't a wind dependent pollinator the plant makes the bees work for the lion's share of the stuff. It doesn't take too much wind blown pollen however to cause havoc for those unfortunate enough to have allergies. But a pollen trap will do the work for you - my trouble is, I eat all the pollen I get from the trap; none left for the girls.

Regards,

Brian

Default Re: Collecting Pollen?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeButler View Post
    Mike, I don't think you'll be able to collect more than a few grams of pollen shaking g-rod, and most of that would end up on your clothes and hair. Since it isn't a wind dependent pollinator the plant makes the bees work for the lion's share of the stuff. It doesn't take too much wind blown pollen however to cause havoc for those unfortunate enough to have allergies. But a pollen trap will do the work for you - my trouble is, I eat all the pollen I get from the trap; none left for the girls.

Regards,

Brian
    Thanks Brian; I was thinking of sticking a baggy around a bloom and beating it; might try it.I wanna let the girs bring in as much as they can haul.
    Goldenrod gets that bad rap for what Ragweed does. As you pointed out, Goldenrod pollen isn't windborne, but ragweed certainly is. - Mike