Thread: Coconut oil

Default Coconut oil

Well my ears perked-up with the article in Bee Source on using coconut oil ,but there was no infomation on how to apply it. Has anybody the information ?

Default I saw that article also

I saw that article also and was very curious if it works. Anybody have any first hand experience with this type of oil?

Tim

do you use it for bathing purposes? (insert winky winky icon)

I am interested also about coconut oil. But am a little hesitant with information as such coming from a beekeeper who lost 15 hives to afb, and they progressed to the point that all actually died from afb. Thats real hard to do.
    (He) also mentions crisco oil as a natural treatment. I assume he speaks of v-mites, and would question he efforts in this treatment and possible confusion in application and treatment methods.
    He also does not state how long he has used coconut oil. So did he start out with new equipment, new bees, and how long have they survived with just his coconut oil.

He mentions that maybe this coconut oil will kill afb. So I assume that having lost his bees once to afb, that other known successful management techniques were not, and are not, used. That his sole reasoning for not having afb again is now attributed to coconut oil.

The article lacks details, but makes certain claims. Simple details that would clear or explain simple connections are lacking.

Of couse starting out again, perhaps with better hygienic bees he could of ordered unknowingly, or the fact that enough time did not pass to show symptoms, or a ton of other issues that could play a part is not given.

For a beekeeper to decide he knows enough to go "natural" and use only crisco patties and sugar with garlic, in some attempt to keep bees, and then know so little as to actually lose 15 hives to afb, not by burning but by having them progress so far as to actually die from the desease, is mind boggling.

I'll check out the coconut oil. Others claim all kinds of success with "oils". I checked them out, and I might as well check this out too. Just wish a little more details were available.

I have also heard the same claim, almost line for line, in using olive oil. Are they closely similar? Anyone use olive oil while were on the subject?

Thanks B-B my sentiments also BUT they still laugh at chicken soup , my favorate in sickbed.

I actuall tried a soy version of crisco....I figured if crisco was bad for us it might not be so great for the bees. It mixed up real well but don't let it get warm as it gets liquidy fast. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I have also opted for essential oils instead of apigard.....one thing I know for sure is that their wings are in great shape, and they built up super fast this spring. So far I have looked for mites and have not seen but a couple. The verdict is still out until at least spring.

Smile

Finaly got an ansver . Use just like crisco melting point to soft is about 75 deg

Default coconut oil

I tried to look up a tel# in whitepages.com but could not come up with one. I was going to make a call and ask about particulars.
    sc-bee

Soy or vegetable oil, hydrogenated; there isnt much difference. The reason crisco is bad is its a hydrogenated oil, a trans fat. Same is true with hydrogenated anything, be it soy or any other oil.