Default SHB being murderd by bees

I saw the coolest thing today. I have a hive that has just been dwindling for the past few weeks, it is bone dry, no flow at all and hot hot hot. I went out, broke it all down to reduce it to just one deep and a med super. In addition to that, I had a new screened bottom board to put on this hive. When I got down to the bottom brood box, I pried it (the old bottom board) off and tossed it to the side- it was covered with bees and I just figured they will come on back into the hive in their own good time. I finished up, feeling a bit glum, can't find a Queen and just a bit of brood.
    Anyway, I went to get the old bottom board and I saw the most amazing thing---a full blown war! The girls were tackling and actually rolling across the old board trying to get/kill the beetles!! I assume that once the bottom board was in the full sunlight the little scuzz-bag beetles were scampering around trying to find a dark spot and were getting nailed! Kinda' warmed my heart,lol. Even a weak hive can still be proactive if they can find the beetles, haha. BTW...this is the first year they showed up for me. I noticed they do not seem to bother much with the hives that have screened bottoms.

Default murdred shb

Stingmaster, I saw a bee flying/ walking out of one hive dragging a shb. She lost him one time and he ran back into the hive... about a mintue later here she came with him again. I put a corner of my hive tool in the shb to help her out. I'm tickled pink they starting to fight back. D

I had a few shb in my observation hive last winter
    it was great fun to watch the girls chase em into corners and keep em there
    occasionally I found the beetles outside the hive where the bees had chased em slam out of there
    those got a fine reception from me

Dave

Default Bees Killing Beetles?

I have witnessed the bees fighting with the beetles in my observation hive. But I have not witnessed them killing the beetles. It seems they always get loose and find a place to hide. Are the bees able to kill hive beetles?

in my o-hive I never saw them kill one but they did appear to chase them out

Dave

I have seen them propolis them into the corners....I guess that will kill them.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

The bees in most hives will keep the SHB sequestered into an area outside of the brood nest. When you open the box and move frames it creates a diruption and many SHB will try to escape their guards. The bees will chase, harrass and do their best to round up the beetles again. Pretty normal behavior. It takes considerable energy from your colony to maintain that security. Energy that your bees could be spending somewhere more productive. Just let those bees drop their guard for a short period of time, for example the colony goes queenless, and the beetles will take over. Not only that, it seems that a colony in any form of distress attracts even more beetles.
    So, enjoy the chase but keep in mind that it'll only take a little distraction and your colony of bees can be overrun. Watch 'em close.
    ps the little monsters love screened bottom boards at least as well as solid ones.
    Last edited by beemandan; 09-16-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I found screened bottom boards did not deter the SHB's in my yards. The SHB's seem to be an equal-opportunity attacker.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Only good SHB is a Dead one

Unfortunately, I have a hive this year that has SHB's. This hive looks real similar to what stingmaster described at the beginning of this thread. Only difference being that my girls aren't that hot. (Not acting queenless, but I haven't found her in days)

I'm planning on dropping in a frame of eggs from another hive in the yard just in case.

Does anyone have experience with SHB traps filled with cider vinegar or similar?
    \"It is an Ill Wind that Blows no Minds...\"