Hybrid View

Sad Bring out your dead,

In the last two or three weeks I have had five dead outs in about 65 hives. Four of these were strong enough a few weeks ago to warrant having at least one super on them.

I have had the usual failed queens in the past, but never hives that simply disappeared. These hives had no bees dead or alive. They had no stores either, and they did not appear to have been robbed. There was very little pollen either and not many wax moths.

There was at least one hive in each out yard, two hives in one location.

This does not sound like CCD to me, and yet I have never seen it before either.

There is a light flow of nectar from beans and the golden rod is starting to bloom. It's been hot and dry but I wouldn't call this a dearth.

All of the affected hives had been looked into (top popped for a peek) at least two weeks before finding them gone.

Any ideas?
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Mites?

Look closely at the frames and see if you can find mite fecal matter. Looks like white sugar crystals.

Any dead pupae in the cells?
    BEE-L snob since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

Perhaps they absconded? Then the question is "Why?"
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Default Mites!

Here in Georgia the heat has done a number on our golden rod flow. The flowers are blooming but with out any rain I don't think they can produce much nector or pollen. I have started to feed and added a pollen patty to try and build up for winter. I think the mites are really coming on hard right now with this heat and I guess that will be my the next thing to do "treat".

Any connection to the "black seed sunflowers" nearby?

Default Sounds like CCD

I think you noticed the missing colonies about a week or so after whatever the CCD event is actually happened. By then, the small (as in small apple/fist sized) cluster, maybe with queen, left for parts unknown. I've seen several very small "swarms" like this in the past 1-2 months; some of these were trying to join other colonies by hanging out on the side/bottom. Sorry for your losses .
    Triangle Bees

Default Sunflowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    Any connection to the "black seed sunflowers" nearby?
    I'm sure Bill has a pretty good handle on his mite situation.

Good question, Dave. Probably a good avenue to explore a bit further.
    To everything there is a season....